This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel update fails to boot

The last 2 kernel releases in Ibex cause my system bail out of the boot process and gives me a login prompt. I can login but have no idea what to do after that. I restart the system using the older kernel and there are some video garbage but it comes to the correct login screen and loads KDE correctly but I am using the old kernel. Will I have to wait for further updates are does someone know of a work around to get my system started?
    System76 Kudu Professional 17.3 Laptop 8Gig Memory Kubuntu 14.04

Re: Kernel update fails to boot

If you have an nVidia card, you probably have been hit by this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...77/+bug/261816

The solution:

cd /var/lib/dkms/nvidia
    sudo rm -fR 177.13 177.67
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-2.6.27-2-generic

If you're using an older card and the 173 drivers, you will need to change the second step to remove the older (and only the older) 173 subdirectory (just use ls to see what it's named).

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Well I tried that and now I can't even boot to the old kernel. I had to go back to my old 8.04.1 just to get in to type this. maybe I will have to redownload and do a fresh install. Unless someone can help. Thank for the try I was using 173.14.12.

Comment

I was successful in using the System > Hardware Drivers utility, formerly known as Restricted Driver Manager, to install 177.70 this morning. Actually, it didn't want to work -- I failed twice (would not start the download), then I installed the 173.14 driver, and that worked. So then I restarted X, and opened System > Hardware Drivers again, and this time when I x'd 177, it downloaded and installed it and un-marked 173.14. So, in the end, I got 177.70.

Comment

My biggest problem is I get to this black screen with white text that just says to LOGIN. I can but then I just have the prompt like I was in konsole. I don't know what to do then or how even if I knew what to do. I don't know what X is much less how to start it. I had been using the 173.14 but when I tried what 3vil suggested now I get nothing?

Comment

Ok, I just followed the above thread with slight modification I deleted .68 file instead & reinstalled the 27.2 kernel & now am in that kernel ok! But it still goes to low graphics mode & I hit continue & it will fire into proper 1280x800 mode with Nvidia driver.

Cary
            The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Well I could not get into 2.6.27-2 or 2.6.27-1 however after rebooting six times () it finally logged in correctly to 2.6.26-5 I think. It appears to be working OK but I am not sure what graphic mode it is in how do you check. I bought this Nvidia card because everyone said Nvidia was the best supported card now that I have this one everyone is raving about the ATI cards. I have an ATI 1300 and would put it in but this thing may never boot then. I have no idea how to change software to accept a different video card.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhibdon
                My biggest problem is I get to this black screen with white text that just says to LOGIN. I can but then I just have the prompt like I was in konsole. I don't know what to do then or how even if I knew what to do. I don't know what X is much less how to start it. I had been using the 173.14 but when I tried what 3vil suggested now I get nothing?
                I've had much better luck with nvidia's proprietary drivers than I ever did with ATI's. When you talk about support and proprietary drivers, though, remember that the problems are usually the proprietor's--NOT the Linux distro's. Since the drivers are not open-source, the Linux devs have no control over what they do. By the way, you're using a developmental testing version of Kubuntu. If you don't know what X is and aren't willing to put up with occasional breakage, you should probably stick with a more stable version till the kinks are ironed out.

That having been said, when you do the cleaning up mentioned above, I think it's important to do it from a recovery console at boot, or at the very least outside X (the graphical system). It seems that doing the update under X changes the nvidia driver while it's being used. This causes all kinds of havoc and you might have to reboot into a recovery console to finish the reconfiguration anyway.

Comment

Quote from: BearTard
                  By the way, you're using a developmental testing version of Kubuntu. If you don't know what X is and aren't willing to put up with occasional breakage, you should probably stick with a more stable version till the kinks are ironed out.

I may of misspoke when I said I did not know what X is. I have just never had to restart or mess with it before. I did google how to restart X and am now much more aware of the process. I am very much aware that this is a developmental version and that is why I am using it. I have the stable version running in another partition which I like to keep stable so I don't mess around with it much. I have been working with the development version for fun and learning. I did this with Gusty and Hardy. The GUI is my biggest weakness and I often have trouble when the system does not boot properly but I keep plugging away until I get it going again. I am now working in 2.6.27-2 and the problem was an error in x-conf that was taken care by the recovery conslole which I would like to thank you for pointing out to me I had never used that before. Thanks

Comment

no problem. I wasn't trying to be an ass either

Comment

Originally posted by jwhibdon
                      Well I could not get into 2.6.27-2 or 2.6.27-1...
                      Does this mean that 2.6.27-x is official for II? I had not need that proposed change finalized. (And sorry for going off-topic, but the problem appears to have been resolved for jwhibdon...)

Comment

Working...
                      X