This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network mangler borks wireless settings

I have tried to setup my wireless settings on my Intel chipset laptop via a gui with no luck over the past 3 Kubuntu's & have always used the interfaces file to manually add my WEP settings, Today we have network manager 7 installed & it disregards the interfaces file. This might be ok but I don't have anyway od adding my ssid & wep key, I tried to install knetwork manager but it has missing deps! Is this just isolated to me? Or should Network manager be removed from the meta data in Kubuntu?

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Re: Network mangler borks wireless settings

My suggestion would be to remove knetworkmanager, and install wlanassistant or wicd. Then start with a clean interfaces file, should look like this:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

Comment everything else out.

Comment

I second Detonate's suggestion: I use Wicd on two of my systems, with much better results than knetworkmanager.

-J
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Luckily I had a backup of my interfaces file, i just uninstalled Network mangler & copied back my interfaces file now all is back & working

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I also got rid of the network-manager nuisance. Using wicd instead. Make sure you have the dependencies before you nuke network-manager.

After an update I eliminate network-manger (doesn't connect to wireless anyway), connect to wired broadband via command line, get wicd and install it.
          As long as you have python-gtk2 there should be no problem.

Wicd is reliable and always works - at least in my case.

Comment

I keep hoping the wireless manager will stabilize but it just never seems to quite do it. So, I take it that the current version in Intrepid does not connect to wireless routers? As that is the problem I am currently suffering from.

Comment

Strange, I've never had any problems with knetworkmanager, save for my disappointment with the main regression with the Hardy version (as in the ability to easily choose which networking card to use disappeared). I *have* been having issues with my AA1 but I don't have that running Kubuntu right now, heh...maybe I'll try wicd on *that*, but I figured I should stand up and be counted as someone who's never had much bad to say about KNetworkManager (in fact, it's the only wireless utility I've ever had work terribly reliably in linux, but again I seem to have missed Wicd).

Comment

KNetwork Manager works in 8.04 Hardy amazingly enough but I tried a boot of the Alpha 5 Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu Live CD.

Talk about a POS!!! >

I try to connect to my wireless and the info is there for scanning. I configure with the connection and try to enter my WPA password. I go through the 'Next' until I get to the end. There is a 'Connect and Save' setting and when I click this, the program just closes and nothing seems to happen. I guess nothing did happen because I am not connected. What is Kubuntu doing?!? They are releasing this crap in a month?

I don't know if this is the KDE 4.1 being an issue but I know Fedora 9 is using the new KDE and I can connect to my wireless no problem.

Also, I could not go through the menu at all. So, I couldn't even find a browser (e.g. Firefox)! WHAT?!?

Comment

the network-manager folks seem to have mucked things up between the networkmanager daemon and their knetworkmanager applet. You can use gnome's network manager applet (network-manager-gnome) or try wicd

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    the network-manager folks seem to have mucked things up between the networkmanager daemon and their knetworkmanager applet. You can use gnome's network manager applet (network-manager-gnome) or try [https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=194573&package_id=229460]wicd[/url]
                    Obviously? I have had strange experiences with network Manager. The distros that have that but no other 'specific' program as a 'wireless helper' app have often not worked for me. They required more expert configuration and I had or have to read and search for the solution.

However, Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy worked although in Kubuntu, it was a bit flaky and strange but I ultimately could connect with my usb wireless adapter. But, in Kubuntu 8.10, I cannot using KNetwork Manager. The issue that is very frustrating and infuriating is that the app doesn't even try to connect. It's as if it's ignoring the user. I can scan for networks and it finds the one I need. I can enter config info or create a new wireless connection if I wish. But, when I try to connect...NOTHING HAPPENS. Are they going to fix this?

Anyway, I am interested in trying 8.10 and I'm more of a KDE fan than Gnome but if the Gnome applet allows a connection in KDE 4, then I would at least try it. I haven't had success with WICD so I'm not sure that would help much. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I don't understand why people say to use WICD instead. What does WICD do that Knetwork-manager doesn't? I tried the WICD option in previous releases and other debian-based distros and it didn't do anything for me. It was the same result - no connection. Maybe I should try it in 8.10? All I know so far is that the gnome's network manager applet (network-manager-gnome) works. However, when I installed it, it didn't show up in the menu. I gather that it is because the desktop is KDE? I started it in the console terminal. I was able to choose my wireless connection, enter the password and obtain a connection. At least, there is an option now. I hope they don't 'break' that option. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
                        I don't understand why people say to use WICD instead. What does WICD do that Knetwork-manager doesn't?
                        Until semi-recently, you couldn't configure WPA-TKIP with Knetworkmanager. Also, you couldn't get the connection to start at boot (as opposed to login) . Finally, WICD just always seemed to work the first time whereas Knetworkmanager is still undergoing a lot of changes and therefore more prone to breakage.

-J
                        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1

Until semi-recently, you couldn't configure WPA-TKIP with Knetworkmanager. Also, you couldn't get the connection to start at boot (as opposed to login) . Finally, WICD just always seemed to work the first time whereas Knetworkmanager is still undergoing a lot of changes and therefore more prone to breakage.

-J
                          With WICD you can configure WPA-TKIP? I'll try it on the LiveCD then.

Unfortunately, Knetwork Manager needs a lot of work (well, imho). I could connect in Hardy but you're telling me I would not be able to get WPA-TKIP?

Comment

However, Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy worked although in Kubuntu, it was a bit flaky and strange but I ultimately could connect with my usb wireless adapter. But, in Kubuntu 8.10, I cannot using KNetwork Manager. The issue that is very frustrating and infuriating is that the app doesn't even try to connect. It's as if it's ignoring the user. I can scan for networks and it finds the one I need. I can enter config info or create a new wireless connection if I wish. But, when I try to connect...NOTHING HAPPENS. Are they going to fix this?
                            Here's the bug report you may wish to keep track of:
                            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/259278

I'd expect it to get fixed before the release of intrepid (although I'd prefer a KDE4 version of the applet)

When running development (alpha) versions, breakages are fairly common. If you want a reliable system (or can't afford to spend time creating/searching for/using workarounds), you'll save yourself from much grief if you stick with the release versions.

Occasional (or even frequent) breakage is the price you have to pay if you go with alpha.

Comment

Unfortunately, Knetwork Manager needs a lot of work (well, imho). I could connect in Hardy but you're telling me I would not be able to get WPA-TKIP?
                              The last time I used Hardy, that was the case. They may have backported the improvements to KNetworkManager since then, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X