This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Wi-Fi Installation & Migration from Win XP

Goodmorning/afternoon/evening to all of you !

My name is Bryan from Belgium and I just became the proud owner of a Linux Kubuntu 8.10 Distro. The first thing I do whenever I get my distro is ofcourse install it on my Laptop. Which ofcourse gives me a lot of trouble. Seeing as I am a newbie to Linux and am migrating from Windows XP I'm asking advice here. Any help will do and will be greatly appreciated !

My interest in Kubuntu came whenever I had to do my ICT project about Open-Source software, and I saw what marvelous it can do. Freedom to share, freedom to edit, a lot of freedom ! And secondly. Why illegal if you can have an OS legally.

So I switched to Kubuntu. My first problem on the laptop itself (which I do not have with my PC) is that my wireless adapter won't enable. I use a laptop with Function Keys so in my case FN - F1 would normally turn on my Wireless Card under windows.

I've already noticed that the network manager in Kubuntu noticed my Wireless Card (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Adapter). The only problem thus sofort is that I can't turn in on via the GUI or anything. I've got a little experience with BASH. I've installed ndiswrapper once following a manual ofcourse and I know cp, mv, rm, mkdir ! (My god, the agony)

Secondly, does any of you have any advice on how to migrate the easy way from Windows to Kubuntu, since I would love to make this my new OS. The only small problem for which I still will use Windows is that I need to be able to run Virtual Machines & my Mathematical Program Derive 5. But maybe there are solutions for this too.

I hope to hear from you all !

Thank you very much in advance

Bryan

Ps:. Just so you all know, I've searched on the forums and on google and tried some stuff out myself !

Edit:. Installed NDiswrapper together with the proprietary drivers given from my vendor. No Luck.

Re: Problems with Wi-Fi Installation & Migration from Win XP

http://madwifi.org/ have you tired this yet ?
    just an idea may or may not help.

Comment

Dear StarWolf,

I thank your reply ! But I'm quite new to linux and all of this is very confusing to me. It quite so dazzled me ^^".

Kind Regards and many thanks

Bryan

Comment

you can run virtual machines w/kubuntu a quick google search should give you several options.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Dear People,

Still nothing. I have however found that my driver is in tip-top order. IWL3495 Driver is installed for my Wireless Card. However whilst doing dmesg, (Found this command thanks to the helpful Community of Kubuntu IRC NL) I saw that my Radio is off. This Error comes on the BASH Screen:

iwl3945: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill Switch

In other words I need my Kill Switch (Probably FN - F1). However this doesn't work either. Any suggestions ?

Herazio

Comment

check your keyboard settings, your FN key may be unmapped, if i remember correctly there is also a software way to turn on /off your card. search the forum as i think i seen it here.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Dear Sithlord,

Thank you for your reply !

Much appreciated ^^

Herazio

Comment

Working...
              X