This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetworkmanager = ****!

Since 2003 I've been using KDE on Debian, and always have had some minor problems using Knetworkmanager in combination with wifi. Especially when wep of wpa is required.

Early in 2008 I tried Ubuntu with Gnome. The networkmanager here is straight forward compared with knetworkmanager. The nomad setting in Gnomes networkmanager is brilliant. If theres an open network in the area, it connects.

WEP connections is fare more easy in Gnome than KDE. Why?

Knetworkmanager connects to wifi a long time after booting, this resulting in that widgets using web-based info is not updated immediately. Often it takes 5 min or more before the content is synchronized.

I have now switched back to KDE, using Kubuntu. But I don't like the problems that Knetworkmanager is giving me.

Anyone who can give me some hints on troubleshooting knetworkmanager?

Re: Knetworkmanager = #&%$!

I thought so..... No one knows.

If WiFi doesn't work right out of the box, KDE and Kubuntu will have some serious problems regarding inexperienced users. La'ptops with wifi problems, forget it, they are useless....

This is a problem that have existed for years, and it's more than strange that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Not much help to get over at KDE.org either. Only thing they say is that it's a known problem, and that I should put manual entries in /etc/network/interfaces This is OK for me to do, but not OK for my mother, or the teachers at my school. This is a major show stopper for KDE on laptops...

Comment

Why write at all if you know all the answers?

If you have a specific problem, please google and search the forum. There is plenty of info. If you simply want to rant, please do so in the privacy of your bedroom.

There is also a sticky on how to ask a good question. Seeing you are new to this forum you should read it first.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

you can always replace knetworkmanager w/ wicd.... i did it on my laptop. works very nice.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by durham
          I thought so..... No one knows.

If WiFi doesn't work right out of the box, KDE and Kubuntu will have some serious problems regarding inexperienced users. La'ptops with wifi problems, forget it, they are useless....

This is a problem that have existed for years, and it's more than strange that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Not much help to get over at KDE.org either. Only thing they say is that it's a known problem, and that I should put manual entries in /etc/network/interfaces This is OK for me to do, but not OK for my mother, or the teachers at my school. This is a major show stopper for KDE on laptops...

O.K. I have a laptop -- pretty darned old, too (IBM Thinkpad T20 PIII 700MHZ/12GB/512MB). I use Hardy. I use ketworkmanager. And I have one of the most challenging wifi chips in captivity - Broadcom BCM4318. I installed b43-fwcutter, it went out and got everything needed and it set up knetworkmanager and for good measure kwallet. When I start up each day, right after I sign in to my KDE 3.5.10 GUI -- IT ALL FREAKIN' WORKS!!

Don't say it sucks. Maybe it doesn't work on your hardware platform, but you know something? about 95% of the reason it might not work is the hardware manufacturers who don't want to share. We Linux people are most fortunate to have hard-working people (yes, we have people!) who try their best to discover ways to make these secrets work for us. I for one am thankful!!

Do I ever get upset about something not working? Of course, but you know the next time around, it just works. And another thing, none of us were born with all this Linux stuff already burned into our brains, most of us had to work hard to find answers, invent answers, and talk to each other to discover answers.

Quit freaking out over some problem. Ask questions. If you don't get an answer, ask again -- and again if you need to. Don't just quit > .
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@jglen490
              i've got an old tizzy as well (dell latuitude c840) not as old as yours , but close and a broadcom chip set for wifi i can vouch there a pain to set up, had a pcmica on i just gave to it my friend w/ xp on his tizzy.

@durham
              i have to to say of all the machines i have installed *ubuntu on i have had 0 of them not work correctly. and some machines have taken more work to get 100% function then others.jglen is completely right if device manaufactures would share there code then our device support would be just as good as other oses, but they don't. some are starting to, just now 14 years or so in to the linux game. also i don't know 1 linux user how did not have some "growing pains" making the switch. sorry to hear about your problems try wicd (google) and let us know.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X