X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Wireless network problem

Greetings,

I've got a problem. My laptop has no wireless card. At least, that's what Kubuntu 8.10 tells me. No matter what I do (iwlist scan, ifconfig), it does not detect a wireless card. I know for a fact that it's there, because I used it back in the days I used windows, and it even worked out-of-the-box (although without WPA2-security) under kubuntu 8.04. However, since my upgrade to 8.10 it's dissapeared some big black hole.

Can anyone help me find my wireless card and help me get it working again (preferably with WPA2-support, as that's the security my university uses)

Any clear help would be highly appreciated. I'm an utmost beginner with linux systems, so explanations would help too.

~Purplemess

Re: Wireless network problem

For us to help you, we'll need to know what wireless card you have. To find out, open a Konsole session (Applications/System/Terminal(Konsole) in the new menu) and type (without the quotes) "lspci -vv | grep Network". This shows a very verbose listing of all the hardware on the PCI bus and returns all lines which have Network in it. The | is a pipe command and is above the backslash on my keyboard. To see a very verbose listing of all the pci devices do "lspci -vv"

On my Dell 1505N, the output from "lspci -vv | grep Network" is
    Code:
    0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
    KDE 4.2 on Intrepid 64-bit

Comment

Re: Wireless network problem

The output from "lspci -vv | grep Network" is nothing. It jumps directly back to [user]@merlin:~$

The output from "lspci -vv" is very large, and since I could not detect a [hide] or [spoiler]-option I won't post it until it is deemed neccesary.

The kind of hardware that physically is inside is the same as yours, an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. I haven't made any kind of hardware upgrades to it lately, the only significant upgrade I made was the switch from kubuntu 8.04 to kubuntu 8.10.

Edit: problem solved. It turned out that the wireless-card was loose in it's socket, and was not making proper contact.

~Purplemess

Comment

Working...
      X