X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to the internet through wifi

Hello.

I just installed Kubuntu 8.10.

The problem is that i cant connect to the internet through wifi.
    It founds my wifi connection and when i chose it, it says connecting and after few seconds it stops.

The strange thing is, that it doesn't ask me for a password for my wifi.

Can someone please help me. I'm a newbie at linux and a step by step instruction would be great.

PS: My laptop is Acer Aspire 5920G.

Re: Can't connect to the internet through wifi

I have this same issue. The only Linux distro that I've found to work with my Wifi is Ubuntu 8.04. I've downloaded Suse, PcLinuxOS, Kubuntu 8.04, Sabayon, gOS. They all have the same issue. They see my wireless card, but won't let me connect to any network. Does anybody have any suggestions. Out of all the distros I've tried I like the look of Kubuntu the best. I can load Kubuntu, but I can't use the internet. Which makes it useless to me.

My wireless card: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g

Comment

Just for reference, I've found FreeBSD embarrassingly easy compared to any linux I've tried on the same hardware for wifi. If it could handle flash 10, I wouldn't be bothering with linux on the kids' computers . . .
      Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

To set up internet:

Right click on the knetwork manager icon and choose edit connection. In the box choose the one you want to connect to.

Select the right type (WEP, WPA etc) and dialog boxes will appear for the passwords. Type in the right info. go to next until you see a panel with a tiny autoconnect box. Then hit "connect and save". If you have typed in the correct info you should get a connection and on every subsequent reboot.

Comment

"should" being the operative word

If you need a driver from ndis or hal, you don't get prompted.

Putting ndis on the other laptop was fairly straightforward (this time), but it connects something like 1 time in 3--the other two it shows the signal strength, and that the card is inactive, but offers no way to activate it or connect.

On this machine, I'm currently trying to figure out how to get it to use the newer hal drivers (on FreeBSD, it's download the source, untar, swap it for the older directory, make a new kernel, and you're done). The directions I've found so far for kubuntu involve compiling my own .deb (which I used to do for other things, years ago), but the instructions to do so aren't quite complete.

FreeBSD, on the other hand, can't run flash 10, even in emulation, as far as I can tell, and isn't as well supported for wine and dos games.

hawk
          Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Working...
          X