This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't enable nfs mount as user, root only

I'm trying to get my user account to mount a nfs partition on a NAS box but it will only allow me to mount it as root. Here's my fstab entry

192.168.0.9:/mnt/ide3/fred /home/fred/nfs nfs soft,intr,noauto,users 0 0

which works fine at mounting as root but doesn't seem to let me mount/unmount as my user.
    Can anyone explain why I can't? I tried user instead of users but it made no difference.

Re: Can't enable nfs mount as user, root only

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you saying the mount is working, but can only be accessed by the root user once mounted? All mounts in fstab are mounted at startup. The options say who is allowed to access the mount.

This is my fstab entry which works perfectly for me.

192.168.1.16:/home/turtle /home/dad/Gina nfs users,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,atime,au to,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

Comment

The Network File System
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's an excellent link about NFS. A word here about reading instructions for linux. Many online (and printed) linux manuals will contain commands that are run from the command line. In *ubuntu systems, when we are required to use root privileges to run a command, we preface the command with sudo, then enter the password to run the command with root privileges. In these manuals, which are written for all flavors of linux, they don't annotate the commands to indicate that we, *ubuntu users, must preface the command with sudo. Instead they will list the command with the proper system prompt to show whether it is to be run as root, or as a user. If you see a command with a # sign in front of it, that means it must be run as root. So in our case, that would mean that you must preface the command with sudo. Commands that can be run as a user, will have a $ sign at the beginnning of the command.

Comment

Thanks for the response, perhaps I could have explained my problem a little better.
          I have a NAS storage device that allows nfs mounting as well as samba mounting of volumes. I can't use samba because I need to play back video over the network which nfs allows.
          If the NAS device is running the nfs mounts are indeed enabled by fstab on boot, however, I don't have the NAS device running all the time so I sometimes have to manually mount them when I switch it on.
          What I would like to do is get my computer to do this for me automatically when I click on my nfs directory in my home directory without having to use a terminal and doing sudo mount /home/fred/nfs
          Which options in my fstab mount allow me to mount the nas volumes from my user account? I thought it was the option user, do I need suid as well?

Comment

Ah, I see, said the blind man. Now that i understand what you are asking, I must say I don't know the answer. I've always mounted my NFS shares, either with fstab or as sudo from the command line. If the entry to mount is in fstab, you can simply enter sudo mount -a after the dirve is started. But to auto mount as user, like you can removable media, I don't know.

Comment

You might just try replacing the option auto with noauto in the fstab entry, particuarly as you say it isn't always 'on' when you boot your system.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I stumbled across this today -- I have no clue whether it is relevant to the NFS issues being discussed:

http://blog.workaround.org/2009/01/1...ruin-your-day/

Comment

Working...
                X