X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Trouble with wep/wpa using wicd

Hi,

I finally updated to 8.10 yesterday, only to find myself completely cut off from the world. I managed to get wired networking up by manually editing /etc/network/interfaces. However, the kde network manager did not find any wireless networks (though it seems to have found the interface). I finally ditched network manager and installed wicd.

Wicd found my wireless router without problem (its a Dlink DI-624+) and I can connect if i set a totally open connection. However, I can not get either WEP (hex mode) or WPA (passphrase or shared key) to work. Wicd just says "not connected". I've configured encryption in advanced settings, and checked the passphrases/keys multiple times.

Any ideas what can be wrong? Any ideas how to troubleshoot (Wicd does not give me any error message)?

On 8.04 I used WEP and connected with wireless assistant (could not get network manager to work then either). However, wireless assistant does not seem to be alive any longer, and preferrably I'd like to use WPA instead which it did not support.

Thanks in advance for any hints how to get this to work.

UPDATE: After beginning to research what the wicd config files were supposed to look like I ended up fiddling with the gui some more. I had tried some of the "supplicant drivers" without success, but not all. Turns out one of them, called "wext" did work after all. I don't know what the "supplicant drivers" are, but right now I don't care. I'm happy I've got wireless with WPA running
Working...
X