Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't connect to internet when changing OS.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to internet when changing OS.

Ever since I first tried Linux instead of Windows which is about 2 years ago I've had one problem: when I restart the computer and change OS from Kubuntu to XP or the other way around I can't connect to internet. Have tried disabling ethernet, switch off computer entirely instead of just restarting, shutting off modem...nothing works. just have to wait some 5-20 minutes before I'm online again.
    Ideas anybody?

Re: Can't connect to internet when changing OS.

Originally posted by AndersBrontosaurus

just have to wait some 5-20 minutes before I'm online again.
    That's odd -- are you saying that after it's shut off for 20 minutes, you can boot either OS and proceed directly to get online? If that's the case, I would look at the router or cable modem -- it must be hanging on to the IP address established for the booted OS for that long. Try shutting off the router when you want to reboot, and then as soon as it is turned back on and "up", you can probably reboot your computer and get online.

Comment

Re: Can't connect to internet when changing OS.

Originally posted by AndersBrontosaurus
      Ever since I first tried Linux instead of Windows which is about 2 years ago I've had one problem: when I restart the computer and change OS from Kubuntu to XP or the other way around I can't connect to internet. Have tried disabling ethernet, switch off computer entirely instead of just restarting, shutting off modem...nothing works. just have to wait some 5-20 minutes before I'm online again.
      Ideas anybody?
      Had similar problems I had to plug out and plug in again to get it working again...
      But then it just died in my Kubuntu...
      So I called my ISP and they said that that's the common problem with dynamic IP and double boot.
      So I would advise you to change to static IP, to uninstall network-manager
      then edit your:
      interfaces and resolv.con and add static IP in it...
      Hope that works for you.
      I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Working...
      X