This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Knetwork manager & WICD

I've been having problems with knetwork manager (namely it won't remember my wireless settings, or even prompt me for a WEP key) so I removed it and downloaded a .deb of WICD to try that instead. But when I try to install WICD the installer comes up with the error 'Conflicts with the installed package network-manager'. Can anyone help with this ?

Re: Knetwork manager & WICD

if you do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove network-manager
    then install wicd, it will work, assuming you have the dependencies. Just keep in mind that if you remove your network manager, and you don't have (I think it is) python installed, wicd will still not install, and you will be without a network manager, and you will have to configure it by hand and use a wired connection to get wicd installed.

I will say that wicd works WAAAAAYYYYYYY better than the default knetwork manager!

mm0

P.S. I think if you install build-essentials, you will most likely have all the tools you need to install, but no guarantee...
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Re: Knetwork manager &amp; WICD

Brilliant that did it thanks. I removed it with adept. Should've known to use command line !

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Knetwork manager &amp; WICD

Glad I could help!!

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
        X