Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knetworkmanager and systemwide network settings.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetworkmanager and systemwide network settings.

How do I enable my networkmanager user settings as systemwide settings? When knetworkmanager drop the connection when I log out umounting networks drives gets borked when the computer shuts down.

I know how to do my settings manually but I would like (k)networkmanager to handle it, both per user and systemwide.

/McNash

Re: Knetworkmanager and systemwide network settings.

why you guys don read topics that your problem is solved !?!? why in this section there is a lot of themes like this one ...
    knetworkmanager can't handle it there is other gui software like knm that will help you browse arround and find
    proc:Intel Pentium Dual&nbsp; CPU&nbsp; E2220&nbsp; @ 2.40GHz Cash Size 1024KB<br />hdd:Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3GB/s 500GB<br />vc:Nvidia Zotac 8600 GT AMP edition 256MB GDDR3<br />ram:1 block Kingston 1GB DDR2/667 1 block JetRAM 1GB DDR2/667 Dual Channel mode<br />Fully Compatible with Kubuntu 8.1 + KDE 4.1.2 <br />Tested &amp; Appro

Comment

If knetworkmanager cant handle it, then my problem is hardly solved?

I must have missed the post in this forum that explain how to get networkmanager to set systemwide settings, perhaps You could be helpfull enough as to post a link to one of the posts I apparently missed?

/McNash

Comment

Hi McNash,

I think what the previous poster tried to say is that there are others who experience the same problems as you and that they have changed from using knetworkmanager to something like wicd. Admittedly, he didn't put it like that

The point made is valid enough though. knetworkmanager has been the bane of many a person's life (I have never had a problem with it myself) for some time now and wicd is supposed to be the great new thing on the horizon...

Why don't you look into it and let us know how you get on?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
          knetworkmanager has been the bane of many a person's life (I have never had a problem with it myself) for some time now and wicd is supposed to be the great new thing on the horizon...
          Dead on Toad! Thanks so much for the pointer, I had the same issue as the OP and I solved it by installing wicd. Documented here:
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5101#msg155101

Cheers!
          -- Leo

Comment

Ha!

Check this out - but I suppose you didn't need it

I'm still on knetworkmanager - didn't like wicd at all :P
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well, I can't say wicd is better _in_general_, but for me, with just one ethernet card in a desktop using dhcp to talk to a router after bootup, wicd knows how to connect the computer while booting up (not just a user after login). I also tried the gnome frontend applet to networkManager, and same thing. I think I should report this as a bug, because it looks like the *buntu family commited to networkManager, and this is a big limitation (and clearly a regression)

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X