This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network setting app?

Hello. I'm newer than new to Kubuntu so bear with me while I gripe. I installed 8.10 last night after running 8.04 for a couple of month. I went to change my network config from DHCP to a fixed address but can't find where to do that. Yes, I can probably go to /etc/networks and change it there but that's not the point with Kubuntu.

I see there's a little green icon in the launch bar that says something about network connections. I did a search and it seems to be KNetwork Manager. I read somewhere that this is a "sophisticated and intuitive user interface which enables users easily to switch their network environment." Really? I guess that doesn't include showing users what the name of the program actually is or allowing them to change their IP settings.

Bottom line: is there a network UI application in 8.10 that I can use to change my network settings?

Thanks,
    JR

Re: Network setting app?
    • right-click on knetworkmanager icon is system tray > edit connections
    • select the connection you want to give a fixed address to and then click edit connection (or select new connection > wireless)
    • (fill out details, click next) x 2
    • enter your fixed ip settings
    • click next, fill out details, click connect & save

Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment.

There are no connections in there when I right-click on the knetworkmanager icon. If I understand it correctly, it looks like it will let you create "new" virtual connections like VPN (maybe?) or adding a new IP address, perhaps. However, having nothing listed there is kind of puzzling as I obviously have connectivity - I'm typing this from the same box. I'd like to see the current connection (dhcp) and change it to a permanent IP address. FYI, I've done this already by opening the hood and getting greased up.

So there isn't a GUI app to tell me what brand, speed or driver I'm using with my NIC? I have got to be missing something but coming from the totally uninitiated point of view, it should be a bit more intuitive.

JR

Comment

I second this. I have nothing in network manager, created a new one, eth0 (Only 1 lan nic and NO wireless). When I did fresh install it assigned my eth0 as dhcp. I went into network manager and tried to create a new one with my lan information and it doesn't take.
        Where do I set my network settings?
        Please for the love of Pete, don't make it "so simple" that you can't figure anything manually.. that is the WORST thing that can be done!!!!

Comment

I don't use any network manager software for a straight simple wired connection. Remove them. Just edit your /etc/network/interfaces file and it works great.

Here's mine to use a static IP.

Code:
          # The loopback network interface
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback
          address 127.0.0.1
          netmask 255.0.0.0

# The primary network interface
          auto eth0
          #iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
          address 192.168.1.10
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          gateway 192.168.1.1

Comment

This is also a bug with KNetwork Manager in 8.10. You are unable to set static ip adresses:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/280762

Detonate has a good solution for now until the bug is fixed

• chris  m •

Comment

Working...
            X