This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smb problems in Dolphin and Konqueror

After installing the latest package updates to Kubuntu 8.10 (II), I can no longer connect to any smb file shares on my LAN from Dolphin or Konqueror. I know they are still configured correctly as I can boot any machine to Windows and connect, read, write...just about anything I want to do. I'll also note that one of my machines hadn't been upgraded in about a week and before I went through the adept upgrades today, that machine seemed to be working.

Using smbclient -L <hostname> appears to give the correct results, subsequently connecting via a terminal using smbclient ALSO seems to work.

Dolphin > Network > Samba Shares >
    I can see icons for the high-level shares but clicking one results in "File or Folder smb://<hostname> does not exist."

Konqueror > Entering 'smb://<hostname>' results in same error.

I've attached the smb.conf file from the samba server I have set up one one of my machines. The overall architecture I have is as follows:

Sony Vaio - Kubuntu 8.10 (II) - Windows Vista - Samba Server Active
    Dell DIM4600 - Kubuntu 8.10 (II) - Windows XP
    Russound SMS3 Mediaserver (linux based but not sure abt details)

Has anyone else run into this after the latest round of upgrades? If so any/all suggestions are appreciated.

--I just finished installing today's updates and rebooted, still no luck. I'm attaching the results of smbtree too, not sure if there is something i'm missing. Windows can still see and use all shares.

--Could this be an issue with kio_smb as opposed to samba server or smbclient?

Attached Files

Re: smb problems in Dolphin and Konqueror

I can confirm this problem. I have the same problem.

Comment

Thank you for confirming cs224.

I also wanted to inform anyone reading this that, by using smbmount through the terminal, I am able to mount the shares manually, then navigate to them using Dolphin and/or Konqueror just fine. The problem with this approach is that it requires me to manually mount about 25 shares which is quite a pain.

Comment

Yup. This bug is why I'm now a forum member.

It's a showstopper.

Comment

Like many others on this thread, I can no longer use Konqueror to access my
          on line storage units via smb. Konqueror is renaming all the files on one of
          my online units by dropping the last character of every file e.g., foo.txt is read as foo.tx
          and then I get an information box "File does not exist" (though Firefox and earlier
          versions of Konqueror all can access these files) I also find the inability of using cut/paste something
          akin to cutting the legs off a racehorse. This version (KDE4.1.2)(KDE4.1.2)) is all
          but useless for my purposes. Someone please take a good look of the enhanced changes, thanks.

Comment

I use smb4k, available in the repos. to connect to all my shares. Two other Kubuntu boxes, one pure (sic) XP and the other XP/Kubuntu dual boot.

Works a treat

Comment

I also gave up on smb and went with Smb4k. I don't share out from my laptop but do need to connect to my Windows box as that has my NAS attached.

Noel Vh
              ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

smb4k is ok... just you can mount vista shares with it,XP will but not vista or im just doing some thing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X