This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wireless after latest kernel update SOLVED? WORKaround

I had a perfect wireless connection on Kubuntu 8.10 despite kernel updates. I am using a wireless PCI adaptor with an Atheros chipset.

However, after the latest update, suddenly 'no wireless devices" are present or detected.
    My wired broadband is still working.

Judging by the discussions about drivers for Atheros chipsets, I presume that I am missing a driver.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
    Any solutions to the problem, please?

Re: No wireless after latest kernel update

sounds familiar - see my bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/263097.
    I have a Broadcom chip, but don't know if it ever worked before on 8.10 as this was my first try.
    No idea what to do.

Comment

My story is reverse, I don't have to install the firmware for the intel now! As for yours if you co to the manufacturers site & down load the firmware driver it will be a *.bin & or *.fw file & copy it to /lib/firmware & reboot. This worked for my Intel maybe it will work for your hardware.

Cary
      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Thank you both for the info.

My Atheros used to work in 8.10 until the update to kernel 2.6.27-1.
        Then it stopped. The update to 2.6.27-2 did nothing to restore wireless.

Just installed Atheros support files as suggested in driver hardware updates.
        No change.

I will check out the other forum suggestion as soon as I have a little more peace and quiet.

Comment

Re: No wireless after latest kernel update SOLVED? WORKaround

The problem is solved - sort of. I may have accidentally discovered a way around it. Worked for me, maybe it will work for others also.

Required some command line work.

First I did 'lscpi' to check whether my card is still recognized. It was.

I did ifconfig commands and instructions. Tried them for 'ath0' and 'wlan0'. No result.

Then I used 'iwlist' command to look for more info.
          Specifically "iwlist wlan0 scan". Device not found.

And "iwlist ath0 scan".

This command produced a list of wireless networks in my neighborhood.
          So, my card was there and the wireless networks on air were found by iwlist scan command.

Just for the heck of it I went back into wicd. Lo and behold, now the wireless networks were listed!
          Tried the same with network-manager.
          Nothing.
          When I repeated the above, the wireless networks magically appeared again.

I connected to my own wireless network without any further problem. Rebooting the computer, reboot and cold boot, did not change the outcome.

Then this morning all wireless networks disappeared from network-manager in Kubuntu 8.04.
          Only wired network shown.

Repeated the steps above in 8.04. Wireless networks re-appeared in the network manager window.

I have no idea why this happens and what really fixes the issue but as long as it works, it is fine with me.

Comment

I had this same problem when I installed 8.10. Installed it and everything was fine. Downloaded updates, including the kernel update and suddenly wireless didn't work, no wireless extensions found, etc...

I uninstalled KnetworkManager and installed Wicd and haven't had any problems since. So far, so good!

Comment

was having the same problem (installed gnome-networkmanager to get round it until knetworkmanager was fixed) but after updating last night all is working again

Comment

I can confirm that. After the recent update to 2.6.27-4 network manager does indeed connect to wireless (in my case ath0, Atheros). It also still handles a wired network connection.

Great.
                Hope it stays that way.

Comment

updateing to kernel 2.6.27-7 broke my atheros card.
                  knetworkmanager shows it as wlan0 now it used to be called ath0 , and lshw shows its using the ath driver and lsmod show the drivers loaded but the card will not see any networks. i fixed the problem by downgrading the kernel back to 2.6.27-4
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

UPDATE:: the re use kernel version 2.6.27-4 only lasted until reboot. using the 2.6.27-7 kernel now,
                    my atheros minipci card shows up as wlan0 now.

iwconfig reports that the wlan0 interface is assigned the atheros driver. and everything seams according to lsmod and iwconfig and lshw to be correct.

removed the wifi card from the laptop now only have 3 interfaces lo , eth0 and pan0 (my modem?), going to put it back and and see if it correctly installs.ot

rebooted reinstalled the card now i have wlan0 using PJJ's above fix did not fix the problem, i get a completely different output.

iwconfig shows the following

lo 'no wireless ext'
                    eth0 'no wireless ext'
                    pan0 'no wireless ext' //these are normal
                    wmaster0 'no wireless ext' //used to be wifi0 before update of kernel
                    wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:""
                    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
                    Tx-Power=23 dBm
                    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
                    Power Managementff
                    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
                    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
                    // the above for wlan0 use to be ath0

so checked in lshw to see what driver wlan0 uses... i get this
                    network 1
                    description: Wireless interface
                    product: Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adaptor
                    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
                    physical id: 3
                    bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
                    logical name: wmaster0
                    version: 01
                    serial: mac address
                    width: 32 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k_pci latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath5k multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg

iwlist ath0 scan
                    ath0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

iwlist wlan0 scan
                    wlan0 No scan results

so everything looks nice knetworkmanager shows wlan0 as an interface but i can not see a network i have checked w/ other devices including another os installed on the same laptop the wifi signal is there and accessable.

Comment

so today there was an update for kernel 2.6.27-7 now my wifi works just fine (called wlan0 still)

Comment

so on 10/31 i updated to the release version of kubuntu 8.10.

only 1 kernel installed (2.6.24-7-generic )
                        my atheros card is once again ath0, no longer wlan0 as it was w/ the beta and kernel 2.6.24-7
                        everything works just fine again ..

Comment

Working...
                        X