This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless not detected running from LiveCD

My wired network connection was seen and enabled running II Alpha 3 from the LiveCD, but my wireless was not. The wireless works fine in my HH KDE 3.5.9, HH KDE 4.1.00 and GG KDE 3.5.9. Is this just a result of running from the LiveCD? It's an Atheros chip set, and on this laptop, works 'out of the box' with KNetworkmanager, which is the only network manager that I've been using.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Wireless not detected running from LiveCD

Dang, I had high hopes with atheros in 2.6.25+ and ath5k... I hope it's just because of the LiveCD like you said... my atheros hasn't worked out of the box since feisty... I think I'll download and burn and give it a try to see if MMV...

Comment

No luck. My AR5416 does not show up in restricted nor network manager. It does appear in lspci, just as in hh. I did see a boot message about "not supported in ath5k..." but i had hoped that just referred to the n, but no luck with b/g.

Nothing really to see in ii as well, but i suppose the kde-nightly desktop has spoiled me.

Comment

ath9k in 2.6.27-rc3... more waiting

Comment

I am using an Atheros chipset as well. It never worked 'out of the box' with network-manager on wireless. Therefore, I made it a rule to use my wired connection to download the dependencies and then install wicd instead of the network-manager.

wicd always works on wireless. No problem.

But you must meet the dependencies (python-gtk2, which is now part of the latest kernel) before getting rid of network-manager. Once you have the dependencies, uninstall network-manager and then install wicd.

wicd_1.3.1-all.deb
          command line:

sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.3.1-all.deb

That will do it.
          I am running my Atheros on 8.04 and 8.10 (latest kernel).

Comment

Hi, I tried the Live alpha 6 cd and everything was fine, even saw the ESSID of the network, but after i gave it the wep key nothing , tried it a few times and nothing - wired connection was fine.
            My wifi card is an intel integrated on a HP laptop. Hopefully it will work in the beta - whens it out?
            Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

Working...
            X