This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Kubuntu 8.10 on a netbook --- Eee PC 1000 ---

So I recently purchased an Eee PC 1000 (specs below), in addition I am new to Linux, and I thought it would be cool to get Kubuntu installed on the Eee PC instead of Xandros.

Specs:

-Eee PC 1000
    - 1.6 GHz Intel Atom
    - 1 GB RAM DDR2
    - 40 GB solid state drive
    - Integrated 1.3 mega pix webcamera
    - Wireless: RaLink 0781
    - Ethernet: Attansic Technology L1 Gigabit (rev 0b)
    - Graphics: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated (rev 03)
    - Audio: Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio (rev 02)

Note: If you try to install the wrong BIOS update (i.e. – BIOS update for Eee PC 1000H instead of just Eee PC 1000), you’ll get this error - "Error! ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID"

1. Download most recent BIOS update from ASUS: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...e=map&f_type=3

2. Once you download the zip file you have a file inside with the extension “.ROM”. THIS IS IMPORTANT: Rename the .ROM file to: “1000.ROM”

3. Once renamed, place the file on a USB thumb drive. Then attach the thumb drive to the Eee PC 1000, power it on.

4. When the boot screen shows up, press Alt + F2, and the BIOS update utility will do all the rest. It will search for the USB drive, and then it will search the thumb drive for 1000.ROM.

5. Once the update is complete you will see a message that says you can shut down your computer.

6. Install Kubuntu 8.10 – I used an external USB CD-ROM drive, but others have used an external USB harddrive or thumb drive.

7. Once installed you will notice that the wireless does NOT work. Additionally, the “Fn + …” key do not work either. So, turning up the volume or screen brightness via the keyboard function keys will not work.

8. To get the Function keys (Fn + …) to work properly –
    a. Open up – K -> Applications -> System -> Terminal
    b. download the file: eee1000-osd_2008.08.03_i386.deb
    Code:
    wget [url]http://www.philpem.me.uk/temp/asus-osd/eee1000-osd_2008.08.03_i386.deb[/url]
    c. Remove acpi-support:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge acpi-support
    d. Install eee1000-osd_2008.08.03_i386.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i eee1000-osd_2008.08.03_i386.deb
    e. Package will install, and once complete reboot your machine.
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    f. Function keys (Fn + …) will work now

9. To get you wireless to work
    a. Download rt2860-dkms_1.7.1.1_all.deb
    b. Install dkms (for this step you'll have to at least plug the Ethernet cable in to get a network connection)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install dkms
    c. Double-click on the file “rt2860-dkms_1.7.1.1_all.deb” to install
    d. Once installed Shutdown your machine, and start it back up.
    e. Your wireless adapter should be detected by Kubuntu, and you can setup a wireless connection with the Kubuntu “Network Manager”

So that is it. Some things I have not been able to get working, and would appreciate anyone's advice:

1. Skype – I am able to get the webcam working, however the Mics on the Netbook are not picking up any sound. Anyone know how to fix this issue Yes I have already tried KMix mixer options, and selecting “Capture” input, and that did not work.
Working...
X