This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kernel update to 27-13 kills XWindows

Ok, Here's the problem that exposed the "Can't connect via Shell when no X is available" problem with Wireless.

I upgraded to the latest 27-13 Kernel, and everything appears to boot fine. However, X will not start. It reports that module "type1" is not found. I had the Nvidia drivers installed and removed, and the only time I could get X to remotely look like it started was with no driver installed at all.

My question is, first has anyone else had a problem with NVidia and the latest Kernel update?
    Second, What did you do to fix it, if you were able to?

Adding Followup: (Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:38:07 pm by dhcolesj)

First, I was installing the NVidia drivers via Envyng. Interesting, but to keep it up to date you have to manually, (it appears) update to the latest "alias" file. I installed the 180 alias file and next thing you know I could install the 180 driver.

Second I was running the 173 (latest of that series I presumed) driver version. The 177 kept making my screen friz out and go crazy (to the point of having to reboot to get it back).

Third my video Card is a GForce Go 7900 GS with 256MB RAM (on a Dell e1705 Laptop).

It appears to be working now, but I'd like to know of other solutions. The 180 appears to be very beta. I'll run it till I have problems I suppose, or hear different from this forum.

Second Edit: (3/5/2009 6:00 AM)

I'm running the 180 driver but I had to revert back to the 27-12 version of the kernel to do so. So far as soon as I log into KDE the screen goes bezerk if I run the latest Kernel. I noticed also when I ran the 177 nvidia driver that Gnome seemed to be fine, but when I booted into KDE it went haywire. I'd rather run KDE, since 4.2 is out it's actually beginning to work and look like what 4.0 should have been.

[SOLVED] Re: Kernel update to 27-13 kills XWindows

Apparently the combination of the following caused the problems:
    Kernel 2.6.27-13
    Nvidia Driver 173.14.12-1-0ubuntu5.1
    Mixed versions of libraries of KDE from 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.
    After all the 4.2.1 packages were installed, and the nvidia driver updated to the 180 beta, I have been able to load up the 27-13 kernel and use KDE just fine. Every now and then it still freaks out the monitor and I have to reboot, but nothing like the initial problem.

Comment

Working...
    X