X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed up UI

AMD64 athalon

I had installed on my comp kubutu 8.04 with both KDE4 and KDE3.5.something (yes,yes, I know it is a seen...)
    I didnt get ditro update when 8.10 came out (even through it was marked to update to normal version).
    So I changes the sources file to point to intrepid and then performed update/upgrade, it got stacked all the time through UI. I decided to do it through terminal. I left it upgrading all night and then when it finished in the morning I rebooted. I could see GDM login screen, but it wasn't responding to neither keyboard nor mouse. I switch to terminal (Ctrl+alt+F1 did work) after some tries I just removed KDE and GDM with autoremove and installed kubuntu-desktop - no use. I reboot and can see the login screen but still not responding.

Any Idea how to solve it? I just want KDE4.2 working...

Edit: I also choosed to keep my configurations whenever pompted for that,

Re: Messed up UI

You're probably going to have to rename or delete the ~/.kde folder in your user's home directory. Then try a restart of the X server.

If you installed kubuntu-desktop and there were no errors reported, then I would think you have everything you need for it to run correctly.

Comment

rename ~/kde for all of the users?

Comment

Originally posted by t_ras
        rename ~/kde for all of the users?
        Yes. And it's ~/.kde with a period in front of the directory name -- it is hidden in the normal view of the user's directory, but you can see it if you click the "View > Show Hidden" in Dolphin or Konqueror, or use
        Code:
        ls -la
        in the console.

Comment

didn't help nor installing ubuntu-desktop.
          How can I uninstall all related packages and resintall them?

Comment

As long as you are able to log into a console the underlying Ubuntu OS seems reasonably healthy.

Doing an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade at this point is likely to assure a complete install.

After having removed/ renamed .kde from the account you logged into you might try to re install kubuntu-desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X