This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Dual Boot - LILO or Grub

Alright, I've gotten myself into a pickle.

I don't know much about Grub, having used Lilo for most of my time with Linux. Unfortunately, I cannot get Kubuntu 8.10 to boot off of Lilo. Not sure if its the old Initramfs from the distro that has Lilo (hda not sda), or the fact that I can't figure out the UUID for Kubuntu.

I followed a how-to on the web to install GRUB after the installation. Which leaves me with this.

Code:
    grub >
    So how do I get the list?

Also, the old distro can get online. Kubuntu 8.10 cannot, until I figure out why the sis163u ndiswrapper driver is hard locking the system.
    The answers are out there...

Re: Dual Boot - LILO or Grub

-- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

It's all there, from re-installing GRUB (you do NOT have to reinstall Kubuntu) to editing the boot menu, /boot/grub/menu.lst. One of the Replies also tells how to chainload LILO from GRUB, but, frankly, I recommend going with GRUB all the way--in the MBR and in the boot sector of the Kubuntu partition.

So:
    Re-install GRUB from the GRUB files in the Kubuntu partition to the MBR of the first BIOS boot drive,
    Then, as/if necessary
    Edit the GRUB boot menu (located in the Kubuntu root partition a /boot/grub/menu.lst)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The last months I have had a lot of success using the SuperGrub live CD to get problematic booting fixed.
      It can boot from any partition and, if needed, repair the MBR.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Comment

The SuperGrub live CD? I may have to look into that.

Originally posted by Qqmike
        Thanks, its working now.

I had to run "sudo update-grub" to create the menu.lst.

(I had opted to not install Grub, during the initial Kubuntu installation.)
        The answers are out there...

Comment

Working...
        X