This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 upgrade disaster - how to recover the system? [SOLVED]

I did an upgrade to KDE 4.2 and now I can no longer log on via the GUI (obviously screwed up somewhere). After entering the password it threw up the black screen. However I can log in via the console. So I found a post on this forum discussing a similar problem and followed the advice given, but to no avail. Now an attempt to log in just throws me back to the login screen.

Then I obtained kubuntu 8.10 installation disk, fired up the system from the CD, and was able to back up most of my data to an external drive. p-h-e-w! However, some of the email files in my .mozilla-thunderbird directory are not readable by user 'ubuntu' and I can't figure out how to change permissions so to copy these.

I'd be grateful if there's anyone out there who can help me restore this system! Either to back up my .mozilla-thunderbird emails so I can do a fresh install from the CD, or restore the system in some other way.

Whatever other information is needed, I'm ready to give it. Thanks in advance.

Re: KDE 4.2 upgrade disaster - how to recover the system?

If you can log in to the console, then you can do pretty much anything you want to do, including copying data, reinstalling software, etc.

Assuming you followed the Kubuntu KDE 4.2 release instructions, and installed the PPA repository, I would try these in the console:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    That should make sure that your package manager is working and you are current on the updates.

Then, take a look at #10 on the FAQs in my signature -- is that the problem?

Comment

As dibl said, with the small addition that you might have to do it several times. As long as it keeps advancing, keep doing it.

Comment

This happened to me.

I chose recovery mode in the GRUB boot menu.

Then I chose the DPKG option in the next menu.

Then I said Y to everything it asked me.

When it was done I rebooted and everything was fine and I had KDE 4.2!

</Aug==---

Comment

Thanx for those replies Dibl, Troberg & Gotaug; I'll look into what you wrote. Here's where I'm up to now:

I was able to save all my data to a backup machine which has a KDE 3.5 system. Then I performed a successful installation on my newer machine from a kubuntu 8.10 live CD. This installed KDE 4.1.

Before adding any other applications, I attempted an upgrade to KDE 4.2 using Dibl's instructions after adding kubuntu-experimental to the sources via adept and the package signing key via the console. (I didn't know how to uninstall plasmoids as the KDE instructions said, so I just closed the note plasmoid. PPA repository? I'm not sure what that is and KDE instructions don't mention it.)

The upgrade ran until shortly after the mySQL password prompt. It crashed failing to install the kde-window-manager. The error message (see below) looks like the Personal Package Archive is critical, so if someone could please enlighten me on how that's used and where to go next.

A few lines from console shortly before the crash:

Unpacking replacement kdelibs5-data ...
          Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
          . . .
          Unknown media type in type 'interface/x-winamp-skin'
          . . .
          Unpacking replacement kde-window-manager ...
          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-window-manager_4%3a4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa7_i386.deb (--unpack):
          trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kconf_update_bin/plasma-add-shortcut-to-menu', which is also in package kdebase-workspace-bin
          dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
          . . . and finishing with . . .
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-window-manager_4%3a4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa7_i386.deb
          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

You might find it helpful to start with my first KDE 4.2 upgrade question:
            Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2 (don't worry about it having been posted in the Juanty area - I was upgrading KDE in Intrepid), followed by replies 63, 69, and 70.

These were followed by [SOLVED]KDE 4.1.4 to KDE 4.2(rc1) - packages to be removed?(then follow my posted link in the last reply).
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you all, I read through all your notes.

I started with a fresh installation using the kubuntu 8.10 live CD, which installed KDE 4.1. Then to perform the upgrade I following the KDE 4.2 installation instructions to the letter but that failed. After that I tried dibl's suggestions but got errors again - log is attached if anyone's interested.

Finally I booted into recovery mode via GRUB as gotaug suggested, followed the prompts, and lo! here is KDE 4.2. Thank you gotaug. I hope the next upgrade is not so exciting. I'm going to keep my backup computer just in case.

Re dibl's first reply: login loop was avoided by starting with a fresh installation using the kubuntu 8.10 live CD. Login loop was probably caused by several of the things dibl mentioned in his FAQ #10.
              Attached Files

Comment

@salsero
                Glad to hear that you have it resolved. Do you by chance have an ATI/Nvidia graphics card/chip in your PC?

Please return to your inititial post in this thread, click on the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X