This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel updates using apt-get

I'm happily using the ati proprietary video driver, which, apparently, modifies the installed kernel.

Whenever apt-get installs a new kernel, my installation boots to a blank screen causing much pain and anguish. It's recoverable though by reinstalling the ati driver using dpkg -i.
    Regardless, is there a way to either have apt-get warn me I'm about to get nuked, fix the problem automatically (run a script when it sees a kernel update), or something like that?
    Regards,
    Kurt

Re: kernel updates using apt-get

When ever you see the package update notification show up on the panel, you can always open a terminal (console) and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    This will list for you all the packages that are upgradable. You are prompted to continue (Y/n). This permits you to see what packages are going to be upgraded. If you see a new kernel, you know what you are in for.

As to what the installation of a new kernel does to your video drivers, that's a known issue, and no, you have to redo the driver installation with each new kernel you install.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: kernel updates using apt-get

Not that it makes any difference but I think the driver is installed as a module against a specific kernel, when one of the two is changed there is a miss match.

I (still) use envyng to manage the video drivers, the advantage is that it has a very simple command prompt to fix these problems.
      Code:
      sudo envyng -t

Comment

Working...
      X