Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop

I had to re-read the thread, not given much to memorizing things

From my understanding of this, yes, go ahead and say (hd1)
    (type the parentheses, too, just like this: (hd1) )
    Two drives -- Vista on the first BIOS boot drive (usually seen as hd0); and the external drive, seen as hd1 by the installer (that should always be true).

So, yes:
    (hd1)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw
      (hd1) should be the MBR of the external drive and will NOT affect the MBR of the Vista drive.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop MBR

Thanks you very very much.

I'm pushing the button now. I'll let you know.

Fred

Comment

Good! Let us know.

Comment

Then, of course, reboot, enter BIOS, reset BIOS to boot from the external (ad hoc), and see if it goes. Which it surely will.

Comment

Re: Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop MBR

It Worked!!!! Nice job guys!

Thank you. Thank you.

Fred

Comment

Great! And very good work on your end, Fred.

BTW, since you installed GRUB to the MBR (hd1), should you ever be in a situation where you are facing a GRUB prompt, grub> (perhaps with more Linux OS installations or something like that), and you need to boot that external HDD, you can chainload it:

grub>chainloader (hd1)+1
                grub>boot

and that external HDD will boot up.
                Just an extra fyi to be filed away.

Again, good work.

Comment

Working...
                X