Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop MBR

Can someone point me to a step-by-step help with installing Kubuntu 8.10 on an external USB HDD.

I had 8.04 installed on a USB HDD but I needed to have the USB HDD attached to boot Vista on my laptop. I ended up building the laptop MBR and in the process lost access to Linux.

So, what I need is to have the Laptop (Vista) boot up without the USB HDD attached and I need Linux to boot when I attach is to the laptop and power it up. My laptop does support booting from USB.

I've got to believe this is simple but I cannot find a guide to show how to do this and the last time I tried it I screwed it up.

Thanks for any help.

Fred
    Lenovo T61
    Windows Vista

Re: Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop

What I have is for 7.04, but I can't think of anything different for 8.10:

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
    =>Reply #1:
    How to install K/Ubuntu 7.04 to an external USB hard disk drive (HDD), Reply #1

I am right NOW (this week) reviewing the posts of this how-to thread, so I don't know how "polished" that how-to would seem to me today.

What counts is this, quite simply:

That you install GRUB to the MBR of the external HDD DURING the installation of Kubuntu to the external HDD. You must know how the installer sees your external HDD so you can tell it where to put GRUB.
    TIP:
    Run the Kubuntu Live CD BUT do NOT yet select the "Install" option.
    Open Konsole.
    sudo grub
    grub>geometry (hd<press the TAB key now>
    (don't type the symbols < or >)
    Explore each drive:
    grub>geometry (hd0)
    grub>geometry (hd1)
    etc.
    to identify how Kubuntu sees the external drive.
    Make a note of the external drive device notation (hd1, hd2, hd3, etc.).
    Probably, Windows will be on hd0.
    The
    grub>quit
    $exit
    On the Desktop (in the Live session)
    select Install, and off you go!

Use Kubuntu 8.10 Live CD installer.
    Step 4: Manual (the last choice)
    Step 5: Specify where to put things (root /, home, swap) on the external HDD.
    Step 6: Advanced button at lower right.
    Specify where to put GRUB.
    If the external HDD is seen by Kubuntu as hd1, for example, type this:
    (hd1)
    with the parentheses => the MBR of hard drive hd1.
    If it's seen as hd2, then, of course, type this:
    (hd2).

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

Before installing, I would prepare the external HD using GParted Live CD and do the partitioning/formatting:
    GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

SUMMARY:
    Partition/format the external HDD with GParted Live CD
    Run the Live Kubuntu CD installer but enter the live session (do not yet install).
    Explore the drives using geometry at grub> to determine how Kubuntu sees the external HDD.
    Run the installer.
    Choose Manual in Step 4 and proceed as above in Step 5 & Step 6.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop MBR

Thank you very much. I'll give that a try. I have one problem though - if I only have the Live CD how do I download and run gparted? Just to let you know I will be using the entire external HDD as a single partition for Linux.

Fred

Comment

I think there is a way to do the partitioning as part of Step 5 (during the installation process) -- I've never done it, though. Maybe someone could chime in here, or you could try an experiment -- you won't hurt anything since you are suing that entire external drive only for Kubuntu (i.e., you won't mess up Windows or any other OS on your PC)..

Or, you can install gparted in your Live Kubuntu session.
        In fact, in 8.10 (and maybe 8.04), gparted may already be there (in the Live CD session).
        Somewhere like:
        K > System > Partition editor.
        Or, it can be installed through K > System > Adept Package Manager
        in the live session (and thus it will only exist in RAM and only for the live session). I've done it that way.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Help with Installing Kubuntu 8.10 on USB HDD without modifying Vista Laptop MBR

This may be what you're looking for: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-...usb-installer/

The HowTo Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive may be helpful, since I assume the process is somewhat similar.

EDIT: Looks like Qqmike RE'ed ahead of me. No worries!
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by teacher

So, what I need is to have the Laptop (Vista) boot up without the USB HDD attached and I need Linux to boot when I attach is to the laptop and power it up. My laptop does support booting from USB.
            I must be missing something ....

If you want it to boot Vista when there is no USB HDD attached, you install Vista on it, with no HDD attached.

If you also want it to boot Kubuntu when the USB HDD is attached, you install Kubuntu on the USB HDD, with Grub installed to the MBR of the USB HDD.

Then you set your BIOS to enable "Boot from USB".

Then you either (a) have the USB HDD attached, and boot Linux, or (b) don't have anything in the USB connector, and boot Vista.

Is there more?

Comment

That's exactly it, yes.
              But he's not sure HOW to install Kubuntu to the external (=> must install GRUB ONLY to MBR of the external).
              Intervention by BIOS setup is a must to make this work.
              Unless he wants to use a GRUB/SGD flash drive, and that's not really called for here (too complicated).

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

But he's not sure HOW to install Kubuntu to the external (=> must install GRUB ONLY to MBR of the external).
                OK -- probably this means clicking the little "options" or "advanced" button, or whatever it is, at the end of the installation routine, and telling it to install Grub in the "partition" not the MBR of the internal hard drive, right?

Probably the Alternate CD will be a better choice for installing on the USB HDD -- as I recall, it's a little more obvious how you control the Grub installation with that CD.

Comment

He needs to know if he can do the partitioning in Step 5 of the Live CD installer -- I think he can, but never did it myself. I use GParted beforehand (as you do). But ... well see his last post ...

Comment

Well, I don't know what happens when you
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install gparted
                    in a Live CD session.

Comment

It works (as suggested above or by Adept ...oops ...!).
                      It's one way to do it during the Live session.

Comment

Guys, Thanks for all the help.

I am a little gun shy about this install - I want to get it right.

The last time I installed Kubuntu (7.10) to an external drive, I took the defaults and I couldn't boot Vista unless I had the USB drive attached. I spent a while rebuilding the MBR and it didn't go well. I saved Vista but lost Linux in the process.

So just to confirm... If I use the method you have outlined here I will be able to boot Vista without the USB HDD attached - Right?

Thanks again.

Fred

Comment

So just to confirm... If I use the method you have outlined here I will be able to boot Vista without the USB HDD attached - Right?

Yes, and the reason is that you are NOT going to destroy the Vista bootloader -- it will still be in the MBR of the Vista hard drive. When the external drive is not attached, your PC will be set to boot from the Vista drive. When you want to boot Kubuntu, you'll attach the external, re-boot, enter BIOS setup, change it (if necessary -- if it's not automatic) so it boots from the external USB, and off you go into Kubuntu.

Comment

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

see SECTION 6 of that: Special Situations--there's 5 solutions to "How to avoid installing GRUB to the MBR of your Windows drive)"-- you might look at that list.

Comment

OK guys,

I am about to install - I have the live CD in the drive and a 100GB USB HD attached. I started the install from the Kubuntu 8.10 desktop. I entered the Language, User info and have entered the partition info for my USB HD. In the next window "Install" there is an Advanced function if I change (hd0) to (hd1) will this modify my laptop's MBR. I don't want to modify it. I just want to be able to boot Linux when I have the drive attached,

Thanks for all the help so far .

Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X