X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instalation of kubuntu 8.10 and aperture beyond 4gb bug

Hello everyone.

On the very begining I would like to point out that I'm new to the linux based os'.
    I decided to give a try to kubuntu 8.10 as my first linux based system.

I have downloaded the kubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64 since I have AMD Turion 64 procesor and after I put cd into drive it keeps giveing me [0.004000 Aperture beyond 4gb Ignoring] info whenever I'm trying to start a LiveCD or instal it on HD.

I googled for info about this bug but I haven't found any usefull info.

After a while a decided to download kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386 (thinking since 32bit wersion of windows can run on 64bir processor, so kubuntu can)

Well I don't get Aperture bug anymore but it crash on every option i choose.

Please let me know what to do since I'm really eager to get kubuntu on my laptop.

My configuration is:
    AMD Turion 64bit 1,8 GHz
    1 GB RAM DDR
    GeForce Go 7300 128 MB

P.S.
    I have checked RAM and HDD for errors and everything looks just perfect.

Re: instalation of kubuntu 8.10 and aperture beyond 4gb bug

You might want to try adding the iommu=noaperture option to the grub kernel line. See this Ubuntu Forum post.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well I would love to add anything to kernel but since I can not install or even start the LiveCD i simply can't.

I tried with ubuntu 8.10 32 bit and i goes the same ;/

Ok Time for an update.

I went threw google and I managed to find out what's the problem. The boot freeze when it comes to ACPI. When I switched it off (F6 when booting from CD) it went on and I was able to install kubuntu on my laptop. But after I have removed CD I don't know where i can again manually switch ACPI of or do anything to sort out the problem.

Comment

The acpi=off (or on some PCs, variants of this) is a known issue - I have to use it on my Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 to get working sound due the buggy BIOS this laptop has.

If your BIOS has the ACPI option, then you can, when booting your PC, enter the BIOS and disable it, which should then allow Kubuntu to boot without mishap. If this isn't an option, then you will need to boot from the LiveCD, mount your HD and then edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file (on the HD) "as root" and add the acpi=off to the kernel line(s). This is what mine looks like:
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=7fdf0d2b-dd11-441c-a577-4936232049f2 ro acpi=off
        To ensure that this option is automagically added when ever a new kernel is installed, add it to the following section:
        ## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
        ## alternatives
        ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
        # defoptions=acpi=off
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X