X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Effects not working after upgrading to 4.2 [solved]

Hello.
    Something strange just occured. I upgraded to KDE 4.2 (from 4.1.4) and the same night after I did it, all the desktop effects were working (like transparent windows, 3d screens when doing ALT-TAB, etc) but now, but the next day, I upgraded kubuntu again (using adept) and now none of the affects are working! The "enable effects" option is enabled. I disable it, and then enable it and nothing changes. I don't get any error messages.
    What's more strange: my OpenGL screensavers aren't working now. I just get a black screen. They used to work perfectly (specially after installing the 180.22 nvidia drivers... I have a geforce 7300GT).
    Any help will be appreciated.
    My music!

Re: Desktop Effects not working after upgrading to 4.2

Anyone?
    This can't be too hard... must be something obvious but I don't know where to look at.
    My music!

Comment

Have you enabled the new driver?

Code:
      sudo nvidia-xconfigure
      Kubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy Heron KDE 3.5.9 @ Lenovo 3000 N200, Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1,86 GHz, Intel X3100 onboard, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD<br />Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex x86_64 4.2 @ AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000 +, ASUS GeForce 8600 GT, 4 GB Corsair 800 MHz RAM, Seagate 320 HDD, LG 19&quot; TFT, L192WS-SN

Comment

Casperh:
        Thanks for your answer. I run your command and after that, when I tried to enable the desktop settings, I got an error. It said something about an error in the xorg file.
        But after this, I decided to reinstall the nvidia driver from scratch. Happily after the reinstallation, my desktop settings are enabled and working! and so are my opengl screensavers.
        I just noticed something strange while installing the driver, at some point I got this error:
        "Error: File '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' is not a symbolic link."
        ...anyway I just clicked OK and the installation continued normally.
        Thanks for the help.
        My music!

Comment

Working...
        X