This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> system upgrades => OpenOffice locks system on save

Am running KB8.10, kernal 2.6.27.11. I believe the kernal was upgraded as part of the rush of upgrades coming down the pipeline in the last two days. (There were a lot - today's alone took about 25+ min. to download, on broadband!)

After today's pile of upgrades, I find that my installation of OpenOffice 3.01 (done from Synaptic) totally locks up the system IF I try to save a file. I've rebooted to get out of the lockup probably at least 6 times this evening. I've uninstalled and reinstalled OO. The problem remains. There's no error message. When I click the toolbar Save icon, or do a Ctrl+S, or a File > Save As, the lockup occurs. I cannot close out OO by any means. If I can get to my running system monitor, I can kill it and get control back, but much of the time I cannot get OO out of the way to get to the system monitor. I cannot replicate the problem with any program but OO - where saves from either Writer or Calc will lock things up.

When the lockup occurs, I have no keyboard, but the mouse still moves. The OO interface isn't responsive to it, but other programs seem to be, IF I can get to them.

I don't see anyone else reporting this problem, which is worrisome.

I use OO quite a bit, so its loss is serious for me.

Any ideas as to how I can respond to this?

Thanks for any assistance!

Re: After automatic system upgrades, last 2 days, OpenOffice locks system on save

Read through Re: KDE4.2 and OpenOffice bug
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; system upgrades =&gt; OpenOffice locks system on save

SnowHog, you da MAN!

I think it's simply outstanding that this problem was so handily and quickly resolved. Too bad I blew 3+ hours trying to fix it myself. Oh well. The Kubuntu support community is tops, by my book. THANKS!

Oh...special thank to Claydoh, who came up with the solution(s).

t.

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; system upgrades =&gt; OpenOffice locks system on save

You're to kind. But thanks none the less.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X