This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu installer destroys grub

I despise the kubuntu installer. For the second time, it messed up my grub partition and now my operating systems aren't chainloading. No matter what grub commands I use (I hit the key 'c' to go to the grub screen), it will not reset.

Also, the installer never gives you an option of where to install grub. I watched for it and there is no indication. It just goes through the install and states, 'screw you' to the user and messes up whatever you have. I guess Ubuntu has to behave more like Windows so it will be popular. >

Does anyone know the email or a 'comment' page for the developers. I really want to leave a comment for them to do something with the installer. I know they will just ignore it but then at least, I can say I tried.

There is an 'Advanced' tab that 'shows up' but that doesn't indicate anything and I am pretty sure I didn't see it when I got to the screen in which the install 'summary' page shows what partition will be formatted and where Kubuntu will be installed.

I have a dedicated grub partition but no matter where I tried to 'tell grub' where the grub files are and where to set grub, I would get 'stage1_5' errors.

I haven't had this problem and I've recently re-installed Debian and Mepis. Only Kubuntu doesn't cooperate.

I don't think I have to edit my menu.lst file in my grub partition. I've re-installed the 'same' distro in each partition except for one but the install was successful and I could boot normally. I am re-installing Kubuntu in the same partition as before so the previous entry should apply.

Re: kubuntu installer destroys grub

I might have fixed it. Can it be fixed in theory but done the wrong way?

Comment

Working...
    X