X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dell inspiron 1000-cannot install kubuntu 8.10 [SOLVED]

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 1000 with 512mb of ram, a 2ghz chip (celeron)-the only downside is the built in sisM650 graphics, the linux xorg sis driver does not support 3d graphics. I have been running kubuntu hardy with no problems.

If I try to install intrepid with a cd iso, as the cd boots, there is a message about an 'apic bug'? and it gets as far as installing the software stage, then the laptop turns off. When I tried to do a dist upgrade instead, the adept installer crashed.

Anyone know how to solve this? Or is the inspiron 1000 just too old?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ANSWER: Thanks to the people that posted hints. It turns out all I had to do was add 'noapic' to the boot options before starting the install, the dell inspiron suffers from a documented timer bug that mangles apic

Re: dell inspiron 1000-cannot install kubuntu 8.10

When booting from the LiveCD, use the function key to edit the kernel and add either, acpi=off or noacpi noapic and see if you get further along. The SIS video driver is going to be a problem. If the kernel options don't succeed, then try booting the LiveCD using the safe graphics option.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: dell inspiron 1000-cannot install kubuntu 8.10

According to the *buntu guidance on boot options here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

there's a "noapic" option -- that looks like a good one to try on the old Dell.

Comment

Working...
      X