This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Install Kubuntu 8.10 KDE

I searched and could not find anything on my issue.

I have dled and burned two ISO's. One for live CD and one for alternate install.

When I boot from either CD I will get as far as the install screen and it automatically opens the language selection. When I choose the language i want it closes and goes back to the install options screen. From there it will do nothing. I cannot select any options nor will it respond to hitting enter. This occurs with both versions.

I am using a Dell Optiplex 150 w Intel Pentium 3 (Coppermine)
    256 MB ram

Side note: I was able to install Ubuntu 7.10 without a hitch using a factory sent CD.

===========<br />Acer Aspire 6930<br />Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz<br />64-bit OS<br />Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Re: Cannot Install Kubuntu 8.10 KDE

8.10 Release Notes

These release notes document known issues with Ubuntu 8.10 and its variants.

System Requirements

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 is 256 MiB of memory. (Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card.)

With only the minimum amount of memory available, the installation process will take longer than normal, but will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed. Low-memory systems may be able to use the desktop CD to install by selecting "Install Ubuntu" from the boot menu to run just the installer, rather than the whole desktop started by selecting "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer".
    How much time are you waiting after the perceived "freeze" before you reboot?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

15 to 20 mins on the last attempt. I can hear the CD running but not in a fashion that matches installation speed.
      ===========<br />Acer Aspire 6930<br />Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz<br />64-bit OS<br />Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Comment

What speed does your processor run at?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How would I chck that with Ubuntu? This computer was given to me and I had to wipe the HD.

Comment

Is the computer a pentium or better?
            Current versions of linux will not run on older processors. I have tried several times on older computers, and that's about where it dies.
            Also check to see if your cd drive is reading -- if it has a light, is the light on or flashing?
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

@doctordruidphd: As it was mentioned before it's PIII with Coppermine core (it may be 933MHz for instance)

@MaddCelt: I recommend you try the 'safe' (use F4 key) or 'text' modes and share the result with us.

Comment

As far as I remember, I had the same problem when I installed kubuntu... I have a P4 3GHZ and I had 512RAM at that time. I remember it took a looong time to pass one of the first installation steps. But I just left it alone and it did finish. I'd suggest leave alone and go to sleep and check in the morning to see what happened.
                Is the computer connected to internet? what's the speed? it could be downloading some update.
                My music!

Comment

Working...
                X