X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) Kubuntu installation on Acer Aspire 1315LC

Good morning,
    I haven’t been able to install Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop Acer Aspire 1315LC. At the starting of the Live CD I see the following warnings:
    [0.000000] ACPI: BIOS age (208) fails cutoff (2000), acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
    [0.030706] PnPBIOS: dev_node_info: function not supported on this system
    [0.030775] PnPBIOS: unable to get node info. Aborting.
    Loading, please wait……….

I have also tried to boot with “acpi=off” but the messages are the same. The files are copied up to 25%, then it freezes the laptop. I made the followings checks:

-Md5 sum check between md5 file on the download site and md5 file of ISO file on my laptop: it’s ok;
    -I successfully install Kubuntu with the same CD on a HP laptop.
    -I try to install Ubuntu 8.01: the same problem but the first time it freezes at 15% and the second time it freezes at 22%. I stopped trying!!

Therefore the problem isn’t the CD but my Acer Aspire. Well, but where?
    Please can you help me to install Kubuntu or I must change laptop? Thanks very much. staleo

Re: Kubuntu installation on Acer Aspire 1315LC

Instead of using 'acpi=off' use what the message is telling you: acpi=force
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your advice but the installation freezes all the same at 28%. I am waiting for another hint. Thaks very much. staleo

Comment

Have you tried using the Safe Graphics (VESA) option to rule out that you have a video card/chip set conflict?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Try a "noacpi" boot option.

Comment

I had a similar problem when trying to install 8.04 on my aspire early last year. None of the Ubuntu based distros could complete the installation without freezing and I ended up installing kubuntu 7.10 and then upgrading via adept. If you have quick internet connection it will take about 25-30 minutes to upgrade and works very well.

Comment

Many Thanks to Snowhog and to Dibl; I tried with the options you suggested but the installation always freezes. Many thanks also to Assett: your suggestion perfectly worked. I solved my problem. Thanks so much. Staleo

Comment

Working...
              X