Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downloaded .debs...installable through synaptic or adept?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded .debs...installable through synaptic or adept?

Hello again,
    Been seeing alot of posts about upgrading Open Office by downloading the .debs from the website. Is there anyway to install the packages you download with one of the package managers? I tried to burn them to cd and add the cd in the Software Sources. I don't know if I burned it wrong or what but Software Sources didn't find them on the cd.

any help will be appreciated.

Re: Downloaded .debs...installable through synaptic or adept?

Originally posted by Grizzley
    Hello again,
    Been seeing alot of posts about upgrading Open Office by downloading the .debs from the website. Is there anyway to install the packages you download with one of the package managers? I tried to burn them to cd and add the cd in the Software Sources. I don't know if I burned it wrong or what but Software Sources didn't find them on the cd.

any help will be appreciated.
    Package managers look for a special index file to 'see' the available packages in a remote/local repository.

You can create such a file with the command 'dpkg-scanpackages' (see 'man dpkg-scanpackages')

If you want a GUI tool, aptoncd (available from the repositories), for example, will let you create your own repository cds (among other things).

Comment

This http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3363 shows you how to install the deb's. The most important aspect is to remove your current version first.
      Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

sudo dpkg -i filename.deb

but be careful.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
        X