This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-install 8.10 [SOLVED]

I want to do a fresh install on my system. I tried to use a USB drive to back up the entire home directory but I could not get the drive to work so....

Is there a way I can move my home files to another directory which I will not format during the install (is this possible) then move over the mail files, etc.

If so, how?

Re: Re-install 8.10

While I've not tried it myself, I've heard of people having separate /home partitions just for such occasions. Here seem to be the instructions for doing it in Ubuntu:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Also:
    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/in...home_partition
    http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/...own-partition/

Theoretically, the process should be generally identical for Kubuntu (with a few differences in menu names/paths).

Hope this helps (at least, until someone more knowledgeable on the subject comes along...).
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

Before you begin a fresh install, you must backup your /home directory and verify that all of the files, especially the . files are there. To copy all of them you can use something like tar -cvf newfile.tar /home/yourname
      then to extract them tar -xvf newfile.tar

There is a good link here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3964#msg163964
      to moving home to its own partition which is a great idea, not only for re-installation.

Does your external USB drive use vfat, ntfs, ext3 or what filesystem? Kubuntu reads and writes most.
      Was the drive recognized or not?

Hope this helps.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

The links provided by Stormbringer look good, read them and pick the one which seems best for you. You can find a lot more information on partitions here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

Assuming you have a big enough hard drive I would always recommend separate partitions for / and /home.

Once you have successfully relocated /home to a separate partition you can proceed with a fresh install:

- run the installer, when it gets to disk partitioning select 'Manual'.
        - tell the partitioner a) to format and mount / and b) to mount your existing /home as /home but NOT format it.
        - The rest should happen automatically though just to be safe I always use the same username and login as before!

Good luck and BTW do try and backup your data beforehand, I have never lost data doing this sort of thing but that does not mean the process is foolproof (do you have a DVD/CD burner?)
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Thanks to all...I'll let you know how it works out.

Oh, BTW, How large should I make the /home partition?

Comment

First, see how large your current /home is. If it is on it's own partition, you can check the size like this:
            Code:
            john@john-laptop:/etc/udev$ df -h
            Filesystem      Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
            /dev/sda1       4.7G 3.0G 1.5G 68% /
            varrun        252M 160K 252M  1% /var/run
            varlock        252M   0 252M  0% /var/lock
            udev         252M  44K 252M  1% /dev
            devshm        252M   0 252M  0% /dev/shm
            lrm          252M  39M 213M 16% /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/volatile
            /dev/sda2       6.1G 2.9G 2.9G 50% /home
            Or, if not, you can try this:
            Code:
            john@john-laptop:/etc/udev$ sudo du -sh /home
            [sudo] password for john:
            2.7G  /home
            john@john-laptop:/etc/udev$
            The results of each are different, but it gives you a decent approximation. Anyway, if you think that you will want to download and keep more movies, music, photos, etc.; or you get a LOT of email; then just make more space available in your next fresh install. If you look at monce, you see that I have a relatively small /home partition, but it is not very full either. I don't keep a lot of "stuff" on my computer, but your situation may be different.

In short, it's hard to tell you how much space to rewserve for /home without knowing what your requirements are.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I just installed a fresh 8.10 with a /home partition. I'm having a problem with the new video card but, I'll take it to hardware.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X