This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot find grub editor....SOLVED

I have installed a Linux Format respin of 8.10 on my parents' Acer Travelmate. But I cannot find the Grub editor to change boot sequence(they want Xp to boot by default for now.) The pc is not connected to the internet, as I have yet to make their Broadcom wifi-card work.

Re: Cannot find grub editor....

The Grub Editor (SystemSettings>Advanced>GrubEditor) is in the package 'kgrubeditor' (I don't think it's installed by default)

It you can't get online ATM, you can edit grub boot default by hand:
    1. open menu.lst for editing
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    2. edit the 'default 0' line for the correct operating system line in grub menu (the numbering starts from 0 and increases by one for every line in the grub boot menu)...so if you have a boot list like this:
    Kubuntu
    Kubuntu (Recovery)
    Memtest
    Other Os
    Windows (which you want to be the default)
    The correct value would be 'default 4'

3. Save

Comment

Look at

Kmenu > System > System Settings > Advanced > GRUB editor

It has lots of features and comes default with the alternate cd (I don't have the desktop cd)
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

[quote=kubicle ]
        The Grub Editor (SystemSettings>Advanced>GrubEditor) is in the package 'kgrubeditor' (I don't think it's installed by default)

It you can't get online ATM, you can edit grub boot default by hand:""

Thanks for helpful advice. In the end I did both the things you propose here. Changed the boot default by hand, and installed grubeditor for later use, by wired connection. Then I reinstalled the XP on the computer, writing over the grub entirely, so it was all pretty wasted. Exept as a learning experience, of course. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X