This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Averatec 6200 installation trouble

Hey I'm relatively new to Linux and so I hope you can bare with me...

I went to http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/averatec.html and followed the steps listed, which suggested I...
    1. Use the Alternative Installation CD
    2. F4 -> VGA-Resolution 1024x768
    3. F6 -> replace 'quiet --' with 'noapic nolapic'
    4. install
    5. after installation: boot using Puppy-Linux:
    6. In /etc/init.d/vbesave comment everything out, using the '#'
    7. In /boot/grub/menu.lst add 'noapic nolapic' as boot-parameter to the first entry (staring with 'kernel . . .')

Everything seemed to work as suggested except:
    2. I didn't see any options for controlling the display settings here, but plugging in a CRT, which worked fine for me.
    5. I had to use version 3.0.1 of Puppy as 4.1.2 (the latest at the time) got the same FATAL ERROR as when I tried to use the Kubuntu Live CD.
    7. I'm not convinced I did this correctly, because it wasn't clear to me where exactly I needed to add the 'noapic nolapic'... I assumed that, like in the 3rd step above, it needed to replace 'quiet' but that appears to have not worked, as I still get the FATAL ERROR message when trying to boot the new installation.

8. I don't understand what exactly the steps above are supposed to be doing. For instance, The reason I needed to plug in the monitor is because the laptop's display would go blank as soon as you selected to "Install" from the Kubuntu splash screen. Will that be resolved with these steps?

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Re: Averatec 6200 installation trouble

Nevermind then...

with a little more poking around I seemed to have figured it out myself.

Once puppy linux fully booted, I clicked on drives, and mounted the hd that I'd installed Kubuntu on, in my case hd1 then:
    Code:
    geany /mnt/hd1/boot/grub/menu.lst
    in my case the 'noapic nolapic' needed to replace the word 'quiet' on line 128 colum 99.

8. This did resolve the fatal error and display issues. It boots beautifully, now to check the other hardware!

Comment

Working...
    X