This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking doesn't work on Shuttle SN95G5

Hi, I'm trying to setup Kubuntu 8.10 on my Shuttle SN95G5 which has a Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit adapter built-in. This ethernet works in Windows and Ubuntu 8.10, but under Kubuntu for some reason, it does not.

I'm trying Kubuntu because I'd like to use Linux MCE www.linuxmce.com, which says it requires this distro. I use this PC as a HTPC on my HDTV.

Specifically what happens is, if I open up terminal, and type ifconfig, I see that eth0 has an IP acquired by DHCP from my router. I see that with route the default gateway is my router's IP.

However, no network connections of any type seem to be able to work. I cannot even ping the router (Destination Host Unreachable.)

I've tried these tricks:
    sudo update-rc.d -f NetworkManager remove

Adding to /etc/network/interfaces
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

And rebooting, but it didn't work. I also tried installing the driver from Marvell. Both skge and sk98lin won't work. Under Ubuntu, skge does work.

I can't figure out what's going on. Kubuntu is running the same kernel version, and the /lib/modules seems to be the same too.

Help? (or, if someone knows if LinuxMCE can be made to work with Ubuntu, that'd be good too.)

Re: Networking doesn't work on Shuttle SN95G5

Take a look at detonates Howto: Ethernet connection without a GUI
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Networking doesn't work on Shuttle SN95G5

Originally posted by Snowhog
      That'd didn't work. I checked my dmesg log, and noticed a stack trace from the skge driver, and something like "irq 16 nobody cared try booting with irqpoll". So I added irqpoll to my boot args, and now ethernet works. I think there must have been a conflict with my ATI Radeon X2400 Pro's built-in HD Audio chip (which I don't use because it doesn't even work in Windows!) because now there's a similar message for HDA Intel in dmesg.

I use the Shuttle's built-in Nvidia sound chip, and use SPDIF (IEC958) for output. I had to set that in Sound preferences. But Amarok still doesn't work and actually crashed even though I set it for ALSA and IEC958 (which worked in Ubuntu!)

Also, I installed the Radeon FGLRX driver and rebooted, and now it when booting it freezes up at about 1/8 of the progress bar, and I couldn't even bring up a terminal with ctrl-alt-F2.

:-X

Oh well, I guess I'll just use Ubuntu and maybe try Boxee.

Comment

Working...
      X