This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing to the subdirectory of a USB drive

I've tried various automatic ways of installing kubuntu the usb drive, and then trying to modify the syslinux.cfg so it boots from a subdirectory, but so far no luck. I always get kicked back to a prompt.

I've tried netbootin, the pendrivelinux.com windows method, the livecd usb creator...

All I want is to be able to throw all the files into a kubuntu folder, and have the ldllinux.sys file in root, so that it's not so messy.
    I am a windows user, so I also need the drive to be in FAT32.

I know it can be done with partitions, and that it's mainly a convenience thing, but messy folders irritate me to no end.

the pendrivelinux.com uses a image for casper-rw, so I know that it can be installed on FAT32, I just need to know how to modify the syslinux file, I've been trying to do this for a few days now...

please help?

Re: Installing to the subdirectory of a USB drive

See this:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0

Start at the first post and follow the references (e.g., to Reply #7), etc.

I believe * somewhere * in there is link(s) to a treatment with syslinux (idlinux and all that).
    My work in that entire thread is with GRUB, not syslinux.
    Also, watch for Live vs Live w/Persistence to ensure you get what you want.
    Reply #7 is Herman's at Ubuntu, and I think he uses Syslinux (?).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

so I tried it and it only brings me to a grub console

It might have to do with the fact that I am using a FAT32 partition, but like I said in my original post, that is what I would like to do. So any help?

Comment

I have little experience with the syslinux option. The usb-creator uses syslinux. When you say "folder," I think you mean to put Kubuntu on its own partition on the flash drive. If the UFD is sdc, for example, then Kubuntu could be on sdc1. With usb-ceator, both Kubuntu and casper-rw go into the same partition (so casper-rw is a folder in that partition). With manual methods, they go into separate partitions: Kubuntu goes into sdc1 and casper-rw goes into sdc2 (as an example).

Try Herman and his gang over at Ubuntu; I don't know about Herman, but I think someone there should be expert at Syslinux:
        HOW TO make a USB Disc with Ubuntu LiveCD and Super Grub Disc in it.
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575406
        Herman; Tekno_Cowboy -- and there's another guy whose name I'm forgetting just now

I know what you mean, though. These bootloaders do expect certain things to be in certain places; like GRUB expects a full path /boot/grub, even when there's nothing in /boot but /grub; and so on. I've played with Syslinux a bit and had about 50% success configuring things the way I wanted them -- and so, I switched to GRUB where I am in full control!

Good luck. Let us know if you hit pay-dirt on this.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I don't mind using grub, I just didn't get it to work (I'll try it again) this is what I had in my menu.lst file...

I tried to throw everything into the kubuntu directory, and I made another menu option for a persistent safe graphics mode...

Code:
          # Kubuntu 8.10 Live Flash Drive GRUB boot menu.
          # Includes Persistent option, and other Live options, including Install.
          #
          timeout = 5  # you can make it any number of seconds
          default = 0   # Makes the Persistent option the default OS to boot

title Kubuntu 8.10 LIVE Persistent
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw quiet splash persistent
          initrd /kubuntu/casper/initrd.gz

title Kubuntu 8.10 LIVE Persistent Safe Graphics mode -- xforcevesa
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper xforcevesa ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw persistent

title  Kubuntu 8.10 LIVE -- Start or Install
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw quiet splash

title Safe Graphics mode -- xforcevesa
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper xforcevesa ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw

title  Install with driver update CD -- driver updates
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw debian-installer/driver-update=true quiet splash --

title  OEM install (for manufacturers)
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw oem-config/enable=true quiet splash --

title  Check CD for defects
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper integrity-check quiet splash --

title  Memtest
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /kubuntu/install/mt86plus

title  Re-boot the PC
          reboot

#  End of menu.lst

Comment

Okay, So I kind of got it to work, but I am booted back to the intramfs prompt, I'm going to look into that now...

Comment

If you follow exactly the steps in Reply #54 of the live persistent how-to, it should work.
              It's easy, though, to make a slip-up here and there.
              Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089474.new#new
              Step-by-step
              -- with Persistence -- using GRUB all the way (i.e., no Syslinux): Reply #7
              Reply #54: New for 8.10, simplified

Comment

That's what I followed, except for the fact that I wanted it FAT32 and only on partition.

By folder, I literally meant folder, as in a directory. As far as Casper-rw goes, I pulled the file from the automatic one from pendrivelinux.com, which is a persistent loop file. I just threw it in the same directory, I'm not really sure how to configure it... but at least I'm getting a boot prompt

Comment

And that's what (I think) usb-creator does--e.g., with casper-rw -- a folder in the same folder as kubuntu. But, it's probably the casper-thinger that's hanging you up to a prompt.

Comment

So the last thing before the prompt is the detection of the usb drive and scsi something or not... I'm going to be trying a bunch of boot options I guess... I think I had this problem when I tried install gentoo a long time ago, and I forgot how I solved it.

After I get through this though, I was thinking of modifying the initrd.gz file to point to the kubuntu folder as well?

Comment

Working...
                    X