This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub error 17 (i searched)

iv just installed kubuntu to a hard drive with windows installed 1st. i have 2 hard drives in my comp the 1st has windows and linux on it the second is just for storage. when i put a grub disk in and type root (hd0) i get filesystem type unknown, using whole disk. when i type find /boot/grub/stage1 i get Error 15: File not found. when i type geometry (hd0) i get
    Code:
    drive 0x80: C/H/S = 1023/255/63, the number of sectors = 488397168, LBA
    Partition num: 0, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    Partition num: 1, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83
    any ideas idk what im doin really just followin what i googled and that doesnt seem right...it seems like it doesnt recognize that kubuntu is installed...i also have a problem booting from a live cd i just used an alternate

Re: grub error 17 (i searched)

Are you still around, Crispies? Looks like your post slipped past us.
    Error 17 is easy to fix:
    You have to replace one of the
    root (hdx,y)
    statements with the right one (or, a UUID if that's what 8.10 is using).
    When you select Kubuntu, GRUB looks for it in /boot/grub/menu.lst and it is finding the wrong partition.
    I may not be around much this this morning, and spotty today, lots of guys here can fix this for you, but...you have to tell us more:
    What happens when you re-boot the PC. What do you see? What do you select to get 17?

Error 15 is a problem when you do: grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Sounds like your installation went bad.
    It is also worrisome that your Live CD won't boot right. You're going to need SOME live CD to fix this; although if you do get a GRUB boot menu, you can Press the "c" key to edit the entries and experiment to see if you can get it to boot into Kubuntu. Also, Super Grub Disk might be able to boot into Kubuntu for you and might be able to fix GRUB!
    Here:
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    You'll have to use Windows to burn it (Nero or some CD burning software, which it sounds like you have).

Have you checked the CD?
    Burning ISO How TO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i did a reinstall doin everything to make sure its not the disk i even changed the cd drive and now i get grub error 5...but i think thats because i had the / partition primary last time and now its logical. i got the live disk working idk how tho its never worked bfor with any disk iv ever made somthin about video i think but its working so what do u need me to do now?

Comment

I'm not sure now! Ha!

Bad partition table -- not a good sign -- usually indicate fatal trouble.

And you have XP on the system, too, right, so we don't want to goof up XP.

I'd try to re-partition using GParted Live CD BUT NOT TOUCH THE XP PARTITION!
        GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

THEN, I'd reinstall Kubuntu and see what's up before going further.

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

btw, Not XP, but Kubuntu *will* boot from a Logical partition (within an Extended).

I don't know how proficient you feel about the PC, but there's a program that might be able to fix a bad partition table:
        testdisk

I don't give a how-to, but I discuss it here with the link:
        (it has worked for me and others)
        RESCUE Partitions & Data
        Data Rescue Links & Comments & Tips
        TestDisk -- PhotoRec -- Knoppix (or other Live CDs)
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091847.0
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

didnt work

Comment

Well, TestDisk should be able to fix a simple partition table like you have.
            So, I don't know.
            Use GParted Live CD to see if it can see your partitions.
            If re-installing XP is not a problem, you could wipe the drive lean (zero-fill it) and re-install everything.

Comment

do you have a combination of IDE and SATA drives?
              mm0
              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

cant delete xp and both are ide the second hd is full of backed up stuff and is almost full theres not enough room for the restso id like to do this without messin up my xp.i did try to install gusty i think it was when i had nothing on the drive and it didnt work i dont remember y exactly it was a grub error tho

Comment

Working...
                X