This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install has problems seeing HD partitions

I'm having some problems installing 8.10 (I have tried 8.04 and had the same result).

When I get to the storage selection, I choose manual, because I have a few partitions already in use.

However, the Kubuntu setup does not show any partitions for the drive (I only have a 250BG SATA drive installed). It sees the HD, but is unable to read the partitions.

When I boot from the live-cd, I can see all the partitons and files from the file manager, but get the same problem when I begin the install procedure. So basically parts of Kubuntu can't see the partitions.

Has anybody seen this before?

Re: Install has problems seeing HD partitions

Hmmm. Puzzling. Have you checked the usual stuff--MD5 sums & "Check This CD for Defects"?
    Burning ISO How TO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Just curious, what if you run the CD as a Live CD (not installing yet), then open Dolphin, do you see your other drives/partitions?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi Qqmike,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did all the usual CD checking.

Anyway, I found the error. It seems there were some "garbage" partition table. Maybe from using C: partition to restore Xp a number of times, not sure.

I ran a diskcheck software to restore the table and then most things worked well.

Comment

Good.

GParted is also a good program for testing whether your partitions are right.
        And TestDisk can be used to fix partition tables.

Glad you got it.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X