X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallpaper change crashes Kubuntu after logon

Hi,

I've had this problem before and I participated in a discussion here, but I cannot find it [or the solution] & it doesn't show up in my list of posts. So, I apologise for raising this again.

Previously after installing Intrepid, I tried to change the theme from Oxygen to Norwegian [is that right? Can't remember exactly]. When I did that I had the crash after booting up and logging on.

Last night I installed a jpg file as a wallpaper forgetting I had the previous problem - but, in my defence, this time I wasn't downloading another theme [BTW, I use one of the "Silver" themes and very elegant it is too].

When I booted up and logged on this morning there was the old problem: a blank white screen, which was replaced eventually by a blank black screen.

This is probably irrelevant, but when I checked BIOS [in desperation] I noticed that the time was UTC and not local. I changed that but still the same problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I haven't backed up my data for the past couple of weeks and don't want to have to install over everything again....

I'm fairly illiterate as far as using linux commands is concerned.

I'm using my wife's Windows [aagh!] machine to call for help, so I'm a bit desperate here!

Cheers,

Jim

Re: Wallpaper change crashes Kubuntu after logon

after installing Intrepid, I tried to change the theme from Oxygen to Norwegian
    Where did you get the theme Norwegian?

BTW, I use one of the "Silver" themes and very elegant it is too
    Where did you get the theme Silver?

Last night I installed a jpg file as a wallpaper
    Where do you store the JPEG?

In 8.10 you can change the theme by Right Clicking the Desktop>Appearance Settings>Desktop Theme>New Theme - where there appear to be no themes called either Norwegian or Silver. You can change the Wallpaper by the same Right Clicking the Desktop>Appearance Settings and then choosing Wallpaper>Picture (Browse to the image).
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

G'day arochester,

Without going back to the window - which I can't [that is the point!] - I got the theme I have been using from the appearances dialogue window.

What might be pertinent is that I downloaded the file to desktop and it presently resides in Documents. It operated as my wallpaper until I closed down last night but I had not rebooted prior to that.

Since the post, I have gone into root at boot and tried a few things there [bearing in mind I am command-illiterate but using a simple guide from a mag]. But my ignorance is a barrier.

I'm after a way to work around this problem of blank screens after logging on. Until that problem is solved, I can do nothing....

Comment

In 8.10 you can change the theme by Right Clicking the Desktop>Appearance Settings>Desktop Theme>New Theme - where there appear to be no themes called either Norwegian or Silver. You can change the Wallpaper by the same Right Clicking the Desktop>Appearance Settings and then choosing Wallpaper>Picture (Browse to the image).
        You'll find downloadable themes there.

Comment

Don't boot into your normal kernel, boot into recovery mode. There is an option to "Try to recover xserver" - try that first.
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Don't boot into your normal kernel, boot into recovery mode. There is an option to "Try to recover xserver" - try that first.
            No, I tried that - doesn't work....

Comment

Have you tried:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
              ?

Comment

Have you tried:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                ?
                I have done that. Now, I cannot even get the splash page/logon dialogue.

I end up with a text command line after being asked to enter logon and password.

So, now I'm lost in text!! Is there a command to bring up the GUI?

Comment

After the command try first to reboot.

There is a command to bring up a gui, but I have not known of any success in *buntu - it's
                  startx

Comment

Yes, well that didn't work!!

Thanks for trying.

Jim

Comment

OK, here's what I get when I reboot [this is the last series of lines visible on the screen (I'm omitting my user & computer names for obvious reasons)]:

kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uud/ [then there is a long number
                      kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot

Ubuntu 8.10 [comp. name] tty1

[comp. name] login:
                      password:

Linux [comp. name] is 2.6.27.9-generic #1 SMP Thur Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC* 2008 x86_64

*My clock on the graphical interface is set at local time not UTC

I don't know if any of this means anything - it doesn't to me!

Anyone?

Jim

Comment

I understand now that tty1, tty6 are different terminals. According to Australian Personal Computer, which has been running a series on linux commands, there are six of these and ALT-F7 should bring up the GUI. All it does for ALT-F1-F6 is bring up logon & password and one of them deals with restoring CUPS for the printer [I'm on another floor at home from my Linux compter, so please forgive the vaguesness. I'm also recovering from hip surgery, so it's an effort to race up and down stairs!] ALT-F7 brings up my user name followed by a blinking cursor and this is a static situation.

I have set up a second disk I had for an old machine - it still had win98 on it - and tried out Linux Mint [two birds with the one stone] and made my original HD slave. I was able to rescue my data files [whew]. But, what seems to have happened is I have three partitions from 18.0 -18.8GB each with its file sytsem and data [different dates reflecting the similar trouble I was having in early November?] When I disconnected the Linux Mint HD and reset my orig. HD as master, it seemed to boot up as normal [it even performed the weekly system check]

I deleted the jpg file in each of two of these "partitions", but in one, it would not let me put it in the trash and I thought that was probably where the trouble lies. The problem is not with the file but in changing themes and wallpaper.

Any further thoughts - on this hot Sunday morning we're having here?

Jim

Comment

Further update:

My principal worry was getting the evolution files, because I run a newsletter and I could not access my distribution lists. I copied across the home/.evolution files from the Kubuntu disk to the Mint Linux disk, replacing the new .evolution files. Up came my old emails, my address books and my calendar.

Why use evolution at all? Because I run three email addresses and I can have sent emails allocated to specific sent folders for each account. You can't do that on Kontact, which is graphically more pleasing than evolution.

So, all my data problems were solved. I have to reinstall Kubuntu and then reinstall the packages I had running, but having the data is the most important issue.

What is NOT SOLVED is the cause of the problem in the first place. See also http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3099441.30 where a similar problem was addressed.

Thanks for your suggestions, arochester. I did try startx and got the same result as "hat" got in the thread I have linked to: the default screen with keyboard and mouse frozen.

I can breathe again.....

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mcdactor
                            Why use evolution at all? Because I run three email addresses and I can have sent emails allocated to specific sent folders for each account. You can't do that on Kontact, which is graphically more pleasing than evolution.
                            Yes you can, the setting for custom sent mail folder is in Kmail settings>Identities>Modify Identity>Advanced tab>Sent-mail folder (So you have to modify an identity, not an account)

P.S. You can also do it with a filter, but the above is 'cleaner & easier'. Feel free to use Evolution if you prefer, just thought to mention that if you'd wish to use kmail/kontact instead.

Comment

OK, thanks, Kubicle. Last time I looked I couldn't see how to do that. When I re-install I'll have another go. In other respects I think Kmail is better. But, it won't be tonight: it's been a hot day and an eraly start tomorrow!

Cheers,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X