Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<SOLVED> Intrepid's Adept is anemic - why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Intrepid's Adept is anemic - why?

UPDATE: Quarkslot's response below tells the tale. What he writes about I figured out later in the day after posting what's below. I didn't see the distinction, at first, and it was really confusing. ~ t.
    ===================
    The version of Adept which seems to come with Adept looks little different from Synaptic. The richness of detail is GONE. Many packages are, too, it seems. I do a search for "ruby" and get one thing, which I've never heard of and which is NOT the ruby interpreter.

The main menu has virtually nothing on it.

This sucks. What's going on?

Re: Intrepid's Adept is anemic - why?

It seems there are 2 flavours of Adept:

- there's the Adept Installer which comes under Computer and describes itself as 'Add/Remove Software'. This seems to be a basic add/remove programs utility and I suspect this is the one you describe.
    - the other version is the Adept Manager which comes under Applications...System and describes itself as a 'Package Manager'. Do a search for Ruby on that and you'll get a lot more results.

I think idea is to differentiate between users who 'just want to add a program' and those who are looking for something a little more involved, but this is just my supposition.

Sometimes I use the installer, sometimes the package manager (and often Synaptic) it just depends on what it is I'm trying to do.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Aside from the 2 flavours of adept, there are also packages just plain missing. Try the following:

feh -> Nothing shows
      imlib2 -> feh suddenly shows on the list >

Pretty much everything with 4 or fewer letters is missing.

Comment

Have you tried Synaptic? I think it's not on par with older adept, but much better than the version shipped.

Comment

Working...
        X