This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Desktop appears now to be corrupted, on clean install of Intrepid

God almighty, why cannot Kubuntu just LOAD? The actual install is quite straightforward, but it's taken me two weeks to get to the finish line. I have an 8.10 install disk which the on-disk checksum routine says is fine (and it HAS installed twice, today). But every time I tried to install, I got read errors at some point. Got a new CD/DVD reader ($60). Still had the problem. Got a new HD (USB addon - didn't get it to solve the read error problem), and suddenly the CD will read. Whaaaa?

Except it's taken around 9 tries to get it to go all the way to completion. It was obviously getting further each time before it died with a read error (or something - I'm not entirely sure - a bit rummy now). Unreal.

After first successful install (wow - KDE 4's lovely!), I was in System Settings (?), looking at the Screen settings or wherever one deals with desktop specs, and I opted for some kind of "complex effects" - I think it said something about Compiz. Big mistake. Screen went blank after a few seconds. No responsiveness. Reboot didn't help.

I should mention my sys specs: dual boot, now with two HDs. Internal HD has WinXP, and my old KB 8.04.1, which had a mysterious problem and wouldn't boot - not for two weeks. External HD now has Intrepid in one partition, and /home in another - so my previously set up user acct. files from the first Intrepid boot are still there, and I think that's now the problem.

I reinstalled 8.10 (took 3 tries), and arrived at the same point - blank screen after login. I tried to boot into the recovery mode, and did a package repair and some other thing that looked like it was a fix-it trick. Didn't fix MY problem. I still cannot get to a normal desktop.

So...dare I say that I think I need to delete, or edit some user acct. file, but...

1. I don't know which one.
    2. I don't quite know how to do it when I cannot get to a desktop.

I don't want to just set up a new user acct., since I have stuff in the present on, on HD2.

Would much appreciate some help here! Thanks as always.

Tom

Re: Desktop appears now to be corrupted, on clean install of Intrepid

Hi Tom

If you rename the home/.kde file on the next boot it will create a new one and start off with a fresh desktop. If you have any kde apps in there you can then copy the appropriate files from the old one into the new.

Comment

I believe the actual file in question is ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc

I think you need to delete it from outside X - not 100% sure on that one. Please ask if you need further info.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad

I think you need to delete it from outside X - not 100% sure on that one. Please ask if you need further info.
        Yeah, thats how I got out of that mess. One can also edit it back to disabled too.

[Compositing]
        Enabled=true

To false.

Comment

Noted for future reference

Comment

Thanks Havoc!
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad

Yep, that's the one. I booted into recovery mode, got a root shell, found and removed the file (lucky I recalled that "delete" on linux is "rm", not "del"), and I'm in business.

Once again, my deepest appreciation.

Lovely system, this 8.10 - it flies, and it nice on the eyes, and fun. Can't ask for more. Having a good time, which after two weeks of WinXP-against-my-will is inexpressively wonderful.

Comment

Working...
              X