X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu hangs booting up at the splash screen

Hi all,

I installed Kubuntu on a HP Pavilion 513n from CD. The installation went perfect. I got prompted to remove the CD and hit enter to reboot my machine. (I did)
    Computer boots up fine, I get the login screen. I type in my login ID and password (The screen resolution is perfect), and it loads the first 3 icons of the KDE splash screen, it hangs loading up the 4th icon and sits there. I waited for a long time but nothing.

I reinstalled Kubuntu as "Graphics Mode". Installation perfect. Got the login screen, but the screen resolution is terrible= 640xSomething and it is the only option to choose from the Display Settings option

I have searched every single possible solution for this and I can't figure it out.
    I tried editing the xorg.conf file and all that.. but nothing.

I even installed Ubuntu instead, but the exact same issue happened.

Could some one please help me out with this?

As far as I know, the HP computer has an Intel i845 chipset.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Kubuntu hangs booting up at the splash screen

Well, as you know there's always possible issues with X configuration, and KDE and kdm.
    But I would want to check the CD:
    MD5 checksum and Check "This CD for Defects"
    Burning ISO How TO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    (I know you know how; just putting it here for completeness.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
      MD5 checksum and Check "This CD for Defects"
      Burning ISO How TO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
      (I know you know how; just putting it here for completeness.)
      I downloaded the ISO image from Kubuntu's website, and I burned the CD using a ISO Recorder software (By Alex Something, do not remember his last name -> 'creator')

I will try the "Check this CD for Defects" and see what happens.

Thanks.

Comment

8.10 seems to have loads of Display issues.

You need to:
        -> Find a driver that works for you. At 640x or whatever.
        -> Force it to the wanted resolution by editing xorg.conf.

Here is a copy of my xorg.conf. It is a sample...you can't just copy & paste it...won't work.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Configured Monitor"
        EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Monitor "Configured Monitor"
        Device "Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load "glx"
        EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Configured Video Device"
        Driver "fglrx"
        EndSection
        I've marked the sections which are of interest to you.
        Driver = Video driver in use. The "safe" one is vesa. You also get radeonhd or fglrx, but these need to be installed first. Google for instruction & compatibility with your hardware until you find one that works for you.

They really need to make this graphics thing work more "out-of-the-box". My out of the box experience was a pitch black screen & it took hours to figure it all out.

Comment

Maybe they need a sticky, huh?

Like what was said previously, one 'solution' is to add to the kernel boot line, 'vga = xxx.' The number could be 785 or 791, for e.g. I forget who it was, but someone posted a 'mode lines' chart which showed possible mode lines and corresponding to the resolution.

It worked for me when I used '785.' However, I tried again yesterday, a 64-bit version of Kubuntu 8.10 and I tried booting up the defaults (just pressing enter) and it booted up fine. The only issue that was concerning was tearing whenever I typed. Other than that, it was an improvement over the strange screen problems.

I agree with you. They really need to work on the video issues. I haven't booted up a distro in a while that had any video issue. At the very least, any issue should be dealt with by the xorg switching to basic universal drivers the minute the X is not booting up properly. Or there should be a choice to use safe mode and I haven't read of anyone saying that works.

Comment

@ HavocXphere:

It' s funny because last night after going through every single possible option I found on the internet, I finally got it to work. [I am at work now and I just noticed your replay. ]

My solution was modifying the xorg.conf file.
            I played around with all the "DefaultDepth 24; Depth 24 Modes 1024x768 ... etc" stuff until it finally worked.

What mainly made the difference for me was to change the Driver from 'vesa' to 'Intel' under the Device section.

Now my screen resolution is just fine, and I already setup a printer and networked Win XP with Kubuntu, now I am able to print wireless from my XP laptops to the printer attached to the Kubuntu computer.

When I have some time I will post a copy of my xorg.conf file.

Thank you though for your replies guys.

Now I am going to check about remote access on Kubuntu but that's a different post...

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Kubuntu hangs booting up at the splash screen

I had a similar problem with by i845 on a Dell Dimension computer.

Based on a posting in the Fedora Forums, I installed Kubuntu 8.10 in safe mode, then edited the appropriate section of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from this:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Videocard0"
              Driver "vesa"
              To this:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Videocard0"
              Driver "intel"
              Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
              For the first time since Intrepid came out, I am able to use the full range of color and screen settings and use the desktop effects fully and without error.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

Fedora Forums link: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=207320

Comment

Working...
              X