This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer Nightmares

In KDE3 there was a neat printer setup/ install GUI that actually worked.

It seems to be missing from KDE4

So, how does the mere mortal now install a printer shared on an XP box?

NB: I know I can http://127.0.0.1:631 to use CUPS. But after installing with the printer scales everything to 25% of the original size. This on a printer that was working perfectly well on KDE3

Thanks

Re: Printer Nightmares

wot printer?

Also, have you checked under kmenu - system - printing? Useful for trying different drivers...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by GUIGuy

So, how does the mere mortal now install a printer shared on an XP box?

NB: I know I can http://127.0.0.1:631 to use CUPS. But after installing with the printer scales everything to 25% of the original size. This on a printer that was working perfectly well on KDE3
      I also struggled with printer setup on KDE4 and had the same 25% print size issue. However there is a GUI control for printing on KDE4 but it's not installed by default:

1. Click on the 'KMenu' button, select the 'Computer' tab then start the Adept Installer to Add/Remove Software.
      2. Search on 'Printer' and then click on the 'Settings' category.
      3. Make sure both the 'Printer Configuration GUI' options are installed, one is labelled 'Printing' and the other 'Default Printer'.
      4. Once these are installed go to Applications...System...Printing to load the Printer configuration GUI, from here you can control many different printer options.
      5. Right-click a printer and select 'Properties'. Under 'Printer Options' you can adjust the print resolution to get your full-page print back.
      6. On 'Job Options' some of the settings are hidden unless you click on 'More'.

Hope this gives you access the controls you were looking for.
      Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

That is a great find, quarkslot! Do you know which packages need to be installed?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
          That is a great find, quarkslot! Do you know which packages need to be installed?
          Good question! I was hoping no one would ask me that.....

.....I will investigate and report back as and when.

Comment

Sorry about that

Have a look at /var/log/apt. Now do a
            Code:
            sudo cat term.log
            Or

Code:
            sudo cat term.log|less

The info should be there

Comment

Originally posted by quarkslot
              3. Make sure both the 'Printer Configuration GUI' options are installed, one is labelled 'Printing' and the other 'Default Printer'...
              It shows those as GTK front-ends... is that correct? (Too scared at the moment to try, since most of my printer problems are OK).

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                It shows those as GTK front-ends... is that correct? (Too scared at the moment to try, since most of my printer problems are OK).

Thanks.
                Yup, defintely GTK.

I'm guessing there isn't yet an equivalent GUI Printer Configuration in KDE4.

The package is:

system-config-printer-gnome

I did a quick search and there's also some Python stuff and a mention of: system-config-printer-common

Comment

Thank you quarkslot - cool!

So GUIGuy should install system-config-printer-gnome and system-config-printer-common, right?

GUIGuy, you can either do this, in accordance with your name, using some clickety pointing things which takes years or copy and paste

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install system-config-printer-gnome system-config-printer-common
                  and become CLIGuy for a minute or two

Comment

wot printer?

Also, have you checked under kmenu - system - printing? Useful for trying different drivers...
                    I don't see that. Which prompted my post.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by quarkslot

<snip>

Hope this gives you access the controls you were looking for.
                      I had no joy with that. Couldn't find the relevant items. Gave up. Struggled with the CUPS interface on port 631, and eventually must have won the lottery. The printer now works as expected.

Cheers

Comment

and become CLIGuy for a minute or two

Cheers. See my other post. I made do with http://localhost:631 and somehow managed to sort it out. This was on my wife's PC, BTW. She continues to put up with KDE4.x, but when I listen to her muttering and cursing I suspect it won't be much longer.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X