This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2

Well I took the plunge yesterday and installed KDE 4.2 in 8.10, and well I love it, but it is buggy.
    I have a number of issues with KDE 4.2, and here are some of them.
    My desktop splits right down the middle, so I see my desktop image over lay it's self. To fix this I have to run with no session profile on boot up, and if I do ctrl+alt+backspace it comes back.
    Kde 4.2 has allot of crashes but it recovers from every on with out loosing things like title bars and buttons. So the crashers are bad, but the recovery is great.
    Compiz well dose not work like it did under 8.10 KDE 4.1.3, so I have opted not to use it. I have enabled the built in desktop effects, and they are great. There is even a cube and a rotate the cube now.

I am going to do a fresh install over the week, starting with the base 8.10 then installing 4.2 on a clean 8.10, I hope some of the issues will be fixed by ding so.

I will post how it goes over the week, but it could take some time, as I will only be able to do it at work and I have to use a air card for internet access.

Noel Vh.
    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2

Yesterday I did a clean install of 8.10 with KDE4.2.
    I found this to be more stable than when I upgraded my current install of 8.10.

What I did was install the 8.10 current version, upgraded it, then added the repo for KDE 4.2. I must say I like KDE 4.2 allot, it looks much smother that 4.1.3, and has some
    more features than the prior release. Also with this new version there is no real need for compiz, as Kwin has now added more features like the the desktop cube.

It is buggy, but not so much that it is not unusable. For and example I worked on it for the better part of yesterday and had about 3 KDE/Plasma crashes. The crashes are well not bad, in the fact that the system fully recovers from these crashes. What this means is after a crash I go the system back, and did not have to do the C+A+Back command to reload the x.

You can now hide the system bar, this is some thing I very much like as I like a clean looking desktop, and use avant window manager for my launcher. Also there are more Plasmoids like Lancelot is there by default, so no need to install it.

During this process I did find another way to install OpenOffice 3. I had been installing from deb files as they were not in the repo as posted. I did find the web site for thr oo3 repo and it states the oo3 files have been deleted. I will post that in another thread.

So to sum up KDE 4.2-
    KDE 4.2 has it's share of bugs, and it is my hope this will get better over time. I was not happy with 8.10 KDE 4.1.2 when it was released (you my have read my rants) but decided to go with it as my main OS. First thing I needed to change was the Guided Power management tool (sucks) it was not working for my laptop, in that it would not put my machine in a power saving mode. I went through the hole config for it but when I made the correct settings it failed to perform. It was replaced with Kpower. Also Apt manager was not improved, installed synaptic for installing apps.
    As an example the only way I could remove the GPM was with synaptic, as both apt-get, and apt manager failed to find it on my machine.

I guess I am not saying to much about the new version, but I have found it worth installing. If you are going to consider this I would recommend doing so on a fresh install of 8.10, and not over one you have been using for some time. My first attempt of installing it over my 8.10 ended up to be very buggy.

Noel Vh

++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Well I have moved to KDE 4.2 beta 2 and have not had a system crash. So there is hope for KDE after all.

I am very happy with it and have no more reason to go back to 8.4.

Noel Vh

Comment

thanks for chronicling your progress. I was just considering an upgrade (from 4.1.3), so now I'll make the plunge

Comment

I found a couple of little glitches, but nothing major. All in all, very nice for a beta. One glitch in particular is that the panel turned blue after a while. Seems to affect only the Oxygen plasma theme. I just switched to Elegance, which is very nice as well. I like having a black panel.

Paul

Comment

Noel Vh wrote

During this process I did find another way to install OpenOffice 3. I had been installing from deb files as they were not in the repo as posted. I did find the web site for thr oo3 repo and it states the oo3 files have been deleted. I will post that in another thread.

Where is that thread, please, Noel?

What is the repo for 4.2?

TIA

Errol

Comment

Originally posted by errol
              Noel Vh wrote

TIA

Errol

The repo for 4.2 beta 2 is
              http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main]deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main[/url]
              Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Noel Vh wrote

Errol
                Hi Errol,
                You will have to go to the OO website and download the OO3 install files for linux.
                Once you have the correct file extract it to a folder, enter the folder, enter the DEBS folder and do you work from there, in a terminal.
                Remove OO2
                Code:
                Remove OO2
                sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org-core
                Install OO3
                Code:
                Install OO3 from deb
                sudo dpkg -i -R .

Comment

OO 2.4 and 3 can't live together?

Once you have the correct file extract it to a folder, enter the folder, enter the DEBS folder and do you work from there, in a terminal.
                  Remove OO2
                  Extract to which folder?

Comment

KDE 4.2 has been going fairly good with me but today FF 3.1 disappeared. Doh!

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by sjhstorm
                      Noel Vh wrote

TIA

Errol

The repo for 4.2 beta 2 is
                      http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main]deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main[/url]
                      What will happen during the 8.10 -> 9.04 upgrade process if I install kde 4.2 from the kubuntu-experimental repo? If it will be necessary to unistall kde 4.2 before upgrading, I will avoid to use such a repository, otherwise I would like to test it becasue actual version is not very good IMHO.
                      Xwang

Comment

Anyone taken the plunge with the X64 version of the Kbunt Iso I am burning it now, and reinstalling everything from scratch. Looks like more updates are coming soon according to the schedule but it is fun to live on the bleeding edge.

UPDATE:
                        So after about 2.5 hours I reinstalled everything including reformatting the partions, the driver install for my X-fi and 8800GTX Ultra worked great, I got sound in about 10 minutes instead 4 days, only thing missing is Flash for Firefox and I will do that here soon. So far I am very happy I did a clean install of 4.13 x64 then upgraded, desktop refresh rate problem I was having before with KDE on top of Ubuntu 32x has been fixed.

Only issues are graphical errors when dragging gadgets from one screen to the other, and very slow gadget size editing, Firefox which I think uses GTK to render seems to not render as crisp as the built in web browser, could be that any app running GTK under KDE will have a similar lack of zeal, even after adding the patch which did fix the rendering problem on the tool bar doesn't fix GTK.

Comment

I upgraded and I discover that kopete didn't upgrade at all. It still displays the previous KDE 4.1.3 version but in the Package Installers (Synaptic and Adept), it shows as upgraded to the 4.1.85 version. HUH?!? Do I have more inconsistencies to discover?

Could someone point me to the RECOMMENDED KDE 4.2 BETA upgrade because it is not clear of what you should do. Unless, of course, this is a typical consequence and if so, imho, KDE has a long way to go until this is anywhere near release-ready. IMHO, of course.

Edit: Ditto for kmix. Same situation.

Edit 2: I had to log out and started a new session on a hunch. They are updated but the bugs are showing up. I cannot move the kmix screen anywhere and then Firefox stays 'stuck.'

Goodbye Kubuntu. I'll wait until KDE decides to release since it is a POS right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X