X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LiveCD won't boot - my experience

Originally posted by dibl
    That's pretty weird!

OK, any KDE package, when you click "help>about", will offer to show you the version of KDE that is running.
    It turns out that it is a common bug that has been reported many times already. Kind of weird, but it seems to happen to a lot of people! Now if I could just find a way to change my screen resolution and refresh rate, I'd be a very happy camper.

Comment

Why use a 3rd rate distro though?

I foolishly installed Kubuntu 8.10 and now my system is completely hosed. Not only is the installer awful but choosing 'Manual' install did nothing. Is that a trick by the developers? It should be called 'auto install.' I couldn't configure where to install grub and now my system is XX#%Q%!!! >

Comment

I'd hardly rate Kubuntu as a third-rate distro. Although 8.10 seems to have some issues, I've heard that 8.04 is rather solid. The only installation problems I had were related to my video card and monitor. The rest was a piece of cake and I only slightly know what I'm doing.

I'm still wrestling with the video, though. I can't get the resolution that I use in Windows, which is really frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
          Why use a 3rd rate distro though?

I foolishly installed Kubuntu 8.10 and now my system is completely hosed. Not only is the installer awful but choosing 'Manual' install did nothing. Is that a trick by the developers? It should be called 'auto install.' I couldn't configure where to install grub and now my system is XX#%Q%!!! >

Look who's back. Are you blind?

I'm afraid in your case it looks like a third rate installer couldn't see a simple option of a first class installer.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Ha! Hey toad, I'm afraid we are no match for this. It's going on also here:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...099952.new#new
            One morning, with a nice, clear, cheerful, fresh start at 4 a.m., I spent the first 30 minutes reading such posts. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." (An American idiom). Nothing personal Senior Kbunt, not at all. Just a practical matter of having only 24 hours (plus or minus some seconds) per 1 day (a real hassle here on planet Earth).
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah, I know...

And the good man promised to go to a different distro. I was already bouncing up and down with joy but now he's back it appears.

I wonder if a mod can intervene 'cos I have not yet read a decent error description or indeed anything intelligible from kbunt, just one rant after another. I reckon he is an MS employee - that would also explain the click 'n hope (but not read) behaviour.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I fixed the problem but thanks for your support.

I reckon there will be complaints about the video (issues) as they seem quite serious but I'm just trying to help...

I would not criticize without feeling justified. If Ubuntu has the same installer, maybe I will see what I missed when the grub step came up.

But, there are indeed video issues (in Kubuntu 8.10) even if many people have different video cards, there is something going on.

Sorry to complain. I'm making notes so that I can have a guide for future (if any) installations. I'm going to install Debian in another partition so I will leave you good folks to your coffees and other pleasures since I don't want to disturb the good folks anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by neiby
                  Now if I could just find a way to change my screen resolution and refresh rate, I'd be a very happy camper.
                  If you installed the Nvidia driver for that 7900GS, then do Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and use that utility to change the resolution. Click "Detect Displays" to have it collect the EDID info on your monitor. I recommend you leave refresh set to "auto" -- bad things can happen if you try to outsmart it. When you've got the resolution the way you want it, click the "Save to X Configuration" button in the lower right, and save it -- it will write the necessary settings to your xorg.conf file.

Comment

i have the same problem here...I can't run the liveCD and the installation. It freezes after a minute. I don't have any problems on the CD because it runs perfectly on other PC. I verify that I have a problem with the video card. I'm using inno3D Nvidia Geforce FX5200. Is there any way to bypass this??

Comment

The older cards, which need the "legacy" driver, are having some challenges. There's a reference to it in the release notes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

On the Live CD, you might try F6 and enter the "xforcevesa" boot option - no guarantees. Other options that might work are vga=791 and vga=788.

Comment

Working...
                      X