This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Intrepid Installation Freeze

I am having a problem installing Kubuntu 8.10, it seems to want to freeze at 22% into the copying files portion of the installation (which is pretty much the last portion....I'm assuming). The CD was mailed to me by Canonical (since I have a slow connection) and I doubled checked it before installing to make sure that there were no defects. I think it might be hardware related, but Kubuntu 8.04 was working fine before I started the 8.10 installation. I am installing this on an older Athlon 2800+ system with 512 MB of Ram and at least 100gig of hard drive space....but that should still be plenty for Kubuntu.

Anyone have any suggestions other than "purchase a new computer"

Re: Help! Intrepid Installation Freeze

Yep.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Comment

Re: Solved

Well, I read that FAQ over and over, tried a bunch of different things (swapping CD drives), burning two different Kubuntu CDs all at 4x (since that's the lowest setting I was allowed), double checking each CD for defects before trying them, and even decided to upgrade the system. Each of these gave me different results, but never ended up with an installed system. Finally I decided to just boot Kubuntu from the live CD, and try the installer on the desktop. This caused ubiquity to crash almost near the end of the installation and gave me some details as to why it crashed. Apparently it was having trouble creating the user folders I wanted to set up on the /home partition I had specified (which already had a previous user from Kubuntu 8.04). I decided to match the new user name with the previous user name, and the installation finally completed without any errors.

I'm thinking that Kubuntu should have some better error detection for this type of issue.....

But anyways, I'm up and running, and if anyone else has this kind of problem, I hope my info can help them out.

Comment

Working...
      X