X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot with Jaunty Alpha 1?

I have a existing Intrepid installation that is working quite nicely thanks

I'd like to test Jaunty Alpha 1 (9.10) but haven't been able to install it in VirtualBox and I'd probably be better of with real hardware anyway.

Is it possible/easy to install Jaunty onto my Intrepid Install as a dual boot option? I have lots of spare space on the primary boot disk. Any pointers to guides would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Lindsay

Re: Dual Boot with Jaunty Alpha 1?

Yeah, you can do it easy enough. I d/led the JJ alternate iso. Tried in a virt box, didn't work so I installed a new Intrepid and then did a distribution upgrade. not in a v-box but on my drive. Now I'm triple booting and no problems.
    Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by bsoderror
      Yeah, you can do it easy enough. I d/led the JJ alternate iso. Tried in a virt box, didn't work so I installed a new Intrepid and then did a distribution upgrade. not in a v-box but on my drive. Now I'm triple booting and no problems.
      Wow, never even though of that - do I need to add a jaunty repo?

Thanks - Lindsay

Comment

No it'll be added during the dist upgrade. I answered your post in the "announcements" forum. I think you oughta be able to git-er-done by that, and if not, ask away. Rog131 and Fintan been running it longer than me and they are one heck of lot smarter. It'll be fun to watch grow. I'd like to get in on the reporting bugs/anomalies/assorted problemos end but I haven't figured out where to start ..... I'm on my weekend now so I'm gonna do some hunting around and hope to help in some way at least. I envy the people working on these distributions. They sure seem to know their chit! ;o)
        Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

or,

Use GParted Live CD to make a new partition for Jaunty.
          Install Jaunty in it, keeping GRUB only in the boot sector of Jaunty--do not put GRUB in any MBR.
          Then copy from Jaunty the boot stanza entry for Jaunty (from its /boot/grub/menu.lst) into the menu.lst in your existing 8.10.
          That should do it.

I haven't tried it though (no Jaunty here), so don't know what/if anything has changed with GRUB for Jauntry; assuming GRUB is there and installed from the Alternate CD as usual.

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
          --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks folks, I got dual boot and the jaunty install sorted out.

Comment

Is there a mailing list or forum for discussing Jaunty (KUbuntu) issues? I'm subscribed to jaunty changes but that's not really a discussion list.

Side note - after the latest updates the desktop is complete borked even deleting .kde didn't reset it.

Comment

Working...
              X