Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] The 8.10 live CD freezes when booting up...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] The 8.10 live CD freezes when booting up...

I currently have kubuntu 7.04. It's no longer supported, so I am planning on doing a clean install of 8.10.

First I downloaded the live CD, I checked the iso's md5sum, and then burned it to a CD.

I booted off the CD, and checked for defects. No defects found. Then I chose the "Start kubuntu without making any changes" option. It showed a progress bar, then it went to another screen and a cursor showed up. The bottom half of the screen turned purple and the top half turned black with white lines, and it froze there. I left it for about 20 minutes and it didn't get anywhere. I did Ctrl-Alt-F1 to bring up a terminal, and typed "startx." Here's the error I got:

Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running,remove /tmp/.X0_lock
    and start again

Then I tried startx -- :1, and kubuntu started up normally, and I could use 8.10 on the live CD.

So, my question is:
    When I install 8.10, will this problem go away (where it freezes when booting up)? Is there something I should do before installing? What should I do if I just want to install 8.10 and get it working normally? etc...

I've been googling for a while, and I couldn't really find anything useful.

EDIT: here are the computer's specs, in case you need them...:
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
    Integrated NVidia GeForce 6150 LE
    1GB RAM

Thanks!

Re: The 8.10 live CD freezes when booting up...

On the first menu on the Live CD, you can press F4 and choose "Safe Graphics" mode, or other boot options.

Also, when you think it is frozen, do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and see if you have a text login prompt.

You should get a good 2D video quality with the "nv" driver on your 6150 LE, which should be automatically installed when you first install Kubuntu 8.10. Depending on your screen size and preferred resolution, you may need a boot code like "vga=791" or similar to get the desired result.

Then, once you've installed 8.10, you can install EnvyNG and use it to install the proprietary Nvidia driver. With that, you will be set to run "Desktop Effects" or Compiz. I recommend doing it with this procedure:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

Comment

I was able to install the proprietary nvidia driver (on the liveCD) just by going into video card settings and clicking a button that said "Search for proprietary drivers," or something. Then desktop effects and 3d stuff worked.

But it's ok to install 8.10 to my hard drive, even if the live CD doesn't boot properly, right? I was going to install it anyway and hope it works, but someone told me I should find out more first...

EDIT: I tried safe graphics mode, and the same thing happened. It went to a black screen with white lines and froze. I was able to get it started by pressing ctrl alt f1, and then doing "startx -- :1"

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by d41

But it's ok to install 8.10 to my hard drive, even if the live CD doesn't boot properly, right?
        Yes. Worst case, your installed system will behave the same as the Live CD, and you'll have to boot "Recovery Mode" and fix the video that way. But probably it will install the "nv" driver and you will have a normal first boot.

Comment

Working...
        X