Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 8 won't work w/nVidia but Ubuntu 8 does??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu 8 won't work w/nVidia but Ubuntu 8 does??

I've had problems with a smaller screen ie the default video settings were too large for my d=wide screen 15".

Try a different larger screen until you get into the system. My 7600nvidia card had the same problem I found the fault with my system by trying another screen and also the thing runs my TV screen on the second output.

i have also had problems with the latest kernel so i went back to an earlier kernel for a while (edit grub to chnage the default kernel} I have found that the newer unsupported driver modules for the latest kernel does now work.

Good luck........

Comment

How do I boot to a hard drive installed version using vga= so I can get far enough to download the nVidia drivers?

Comment

Well, you don't have to have a GUI -- you could boot Recovery Console and at the CLI do (as root)

Code:
        apt-get update
        Code:
        apt-get install envyng-qt
        Code:
        envyng -t
        or, as a user, just prefix the above with "sudo".

But, to answer your question, when you see the boot menu, on the normal (top) boot line, press "e" to edit, and try adding "xforcevesa" as an option at the end of the kernel line, and then press Enter and "b" to boot the kernel. That option is working well here. If it works right, then you'll need to add it permanently by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and add it to the end of the kernel line where it shows your menu.

The "vga=" options most likely to work are vga=791 and vga=785, if xforcevesa doesn't work.

Comment

I may have a problem that is similar. I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer an it's working fine. I then installed KDE. I assume that the other desk manager, XFCE (I think) is installed by default. Gnome will boot and XFCE will boot. If I try to start KDE from the command line I get an error.The KSMserver won't start. It says, "Nvidia Open Gl driver requires CPUs with SSE"

I have no idea what SSE is Gnome doesn't need it nor does XFCE.

Eric

Comment

Working...
          X