Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 8 won't work w/nVidia but Ubuntu 8 does??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8 won't work w/nVidia but Ubuntu 8 does??

I've got several systems. The first one I tried it on, I loved Kubuntu and wanted to use Ubuntu 8 on one system and Kubuntu 8 on my main system. Kubuntu won't even boot to safe graphics mode from the live CD on my main system (P4 2G w/2G memory, NVidia FX5500 video card). I get corrupt graphics like it's out of sync in normal mode, and just bands of color in safe graphics mode. I'd just give up and use something different, HOWEVER - Ubuntu 8 boots without a hitch in full graphics mode on the exact same system, which doesn't make ANY sense to me, since it was my understanding the core server was the same in both. Seems it should work. Any one?

Re: Kubuntu 8 won't work w/nVidia but Ubuntu 8 does??

vaasnaad: probably your issue is related to your video card. Do you have by chance an nVidia card older than say, four years? Which model it is?

Comment

It's an nVidia GeForce FX5500. I'd think it's video too but for the fact that Ubuntu 8 (Gnome) works without a hitch with it, while same core/kernel but different desktop (KDE) won't even boot in safe graphics mode. Is there some significant difference between the two that I'm unaware of?

Comment

Yes, there is. The difference here is that the Linux kernel being used is different. And the NVidia drivers have not been recompiled for the 8.10 kernel on time to the release. This is mostly a problem with NVidia, as those drivers have proprietary pieces that do not allow its inclusion with the rest of the software that is recompiled with each kernel release.

An updated version of the drivers is already in beta. You have three options here.

First, accept the defaults that 8.10 offers. The "nv" open source driver is installed. This works fairly well but you'll not have desktop effects or 3D acceleration (games)

Second, accept the defaults at install time and then try to install an older version of the driver that allows you to have desktop effects and 3D acceleration. This is what I did (of course, without checking the release notes or the forums first!!!) and it's not that bad. Even with an older version, the desktop effects are more stable and the 3D performance is the same. There are some oddities the first time you open a window (visible garbage) but other than that works fine.

Third, wait for the 180 NVidia driver version to be released. You can then install 8.10 and when prompted, confirm that you want to download the latest updates. The latest version of the driver will then be installed and you'll have things working fine.

It's your choice.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense now! The only problem with all three options is that Kubuntu won't come up, period. Not even in safe graphics mode (well, it will come up, but isn't usable because the video is garbled), so I can't get to the point where I have the plain nv driver loaded. Or... is this something that won't load with the LiveCD option but WILL install when you actually do the installation of the OS? I mean I know I could probably go in after the fact from a regular console login and modify the xorg.conf file to use the nv driver in theory, but even then I'd have to install it all the way instead of run it from the LiveCD. Good to know a new driver is in the works... thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Have you tried any of the "vga=" boot options yet? Try vga=785 as well as vga=791. Another boot option worth trying is xforcevesa -- that one works great on my Nvidia card. More details at #2 here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Comment

The Alternate install CD does a text mode install. You could then configure xorg.conf manually or install the restricted NVIDIA drivers and run nvidia-xonfig.

Comment

VGA=785 got me in! Once I'm in, any instructions on how to install those restricted mode drivers? I'm running Freespire 2 right now and would like to upgrade to something that won't require a reinstall every time they upgrade... or trash my OpenGL. I need OpenGL for Cinelerra and Blender (not to mention my games through Wine!)

Comment

Do you mean that you got it installed and have KDE up and running with no effects or 3D acceleration? If that's the case, your best bet is the envyng package.

Comment

Well, I got it to boot from the LiveCD, but I haven't installed it yet onto the hard drive. Is it possible to tweak out the OS from the LiveCD and then install that configuration to the HDD?

Comment

Not sure of that. I'd say go ahead and install in text mode. At worst, you can fix it from text mode also.

Comment

Interesting that NO ONE answers his question. He asked why can he boot up in Ubuntu but not Kubuntu.

OP, imho, it is 1 of 2 possible reasons:
                        1) KDE4 is no good. I.E. buggy...
                        2) Kubuntu can't handle it. Ubuntu can. Probably due to reason 1 above?

Comment

kbunt, read carefully their posts. He (or she?) was asking why 8.04 "booted" but 8.10 did not. And to be more specific, it's not that 8.10 did not boot, the problem is that X is crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
                            kbunt, read carefully their posts. He (or she?) was asking why 8.04 "booted" but 8.10 did not. And to be more specific, it's not that 8.10 did not boot, the problem is that X is crashing.
                            Okay but that applies to me as well. Well, before I used 'vga=785' at the end of the text line on the LiveCD.

My X would crash. I would get a grey screen with dashes all over the place among other screen goodies.

I think I might burn a copy of Ubuntu 8.10 to compare. My prediction is that it will boot but I could be mistaken. Not that anyone else cares what my experience will be.

I was just hoping I could help the OP boot his Kubuntu 8.10 up.

Comment

I did get an answer - the kernel is slightly different and nVidia didn't have their driver ready in time for these chipsets. Which is a real bummer since I really liked what I saw on another test system. Though I do have some questions for another post on features/options. FYI sounds like you're getting the SAME thing I'm getting. The F6 - VGA=785 option got X started at low resolution, but at least it would boot 8.1. 8.04 Kubuntu Hardy booted without a hitch at 1280x1024 just like I want it to. Depending on when my imminent HDD failure occurs, I may have to go with Hardy until nVidia gets their driver ready for Intrepid, then upgrade. BUT - I have no complaints with what I've encountered on my test system, so there are conditions under which 8.1 seems nice, stable and non-buggy for me at least. Sure would love to use it on my main system!

Comment

Working...
                              X